Best Shure SE846 cable?
Aug 10, 2015 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AndrewCanDo

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, my names Andrew and i'm relatively new here. Im not entirely sure if this has been answered however I could't find any solid opinions or info on my question, which is: 

What is the best 3rd party replacement cable for the Shure SE846? 

A few things to note: 
- These will be used strictly with my phone ONLY (Samsung Galaxy Note Edge) as I don't own any headphone amp. 
- I would prefer reasonably priced cables (ie. $350CAD or less). 
- Any opinions based on personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
- My playlist consists heavily of hip-hop, dance, progressive house and electronic (most are bass heavy). 

I've heard different phones push out different sounds based on the type of connector (not entirely sure if what i'm saying is true, plz dnt h8) and the material used however i'm not 100% sure of whether this info is accurate or not. 

Thanks for the help fellas! Its been a pleasure so far to be part of this community 
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 6
OK. Couple tips for you.

1. All shure IEMs use MMCX connectors, so cables with MMCX connectors are what you want to look for.
2. You need a 3.5mm termination to connect to your phone. 3 pin, or 4 pin, if you want mic/remote for the cable.
3. Mic/remote feature is likely to worsen the SQ a tiny tiny bit, though it's unlikely that it's audible.
4. If you want a $350CAD worth of SQ improvement, I suggest you don't buy a cable, as it really won't upgrade the sound that much.
5. It would probably make less than 5% upgrade, even if you buy a $500 cable.
6. So you should expect a durability, comfort, and look upgrade mostly.

Ok. So my suggestions.
Furutech ADL iHP 35 cable. Decent price, great build, great looks, guaranteed to sound at least as good as stock, if not better. It's really fancy. If you've heard of furutech, they cryo treat all their cables, which is rather hard to do.
After market cables from ebay: not terribly recommended unless you don't mind it lasting under 3 months. On the bright side, their furutech cable sounds pretty damn good for under $50.
BTG Audio custom made: Brian is nice. He makes pretty cheap custom cables, and doesn't cut corners in terms of quality. They sound good, and are built rather well.
Linum cables: Ultra thin and light. Sounds good and are comfy as well. Review here.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Beware of Furutech ADL iHP 35 cable, the rubber sleeve by one connector on mine has broken already from only after one year of indoor use, i can see the wire under it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back