Best Shooters?
Dec 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
Hey so I've played only a few fps in my life and I'm curious to see if there are any great shooters that I missed. I recently started playing bioshock infinite. Based of just the shooting mechanic in that game it seems good, not amazing, certainely not bad. But I heard people say the shooting mechanic was bad in that game. 

I've played bioshock 1,2, fear 1,2,3, call of duty 4, tomb raider, bits of borderlands 2, not a lot of shooters as you can see. So what are the best shooters you would recommend? 

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 17
I guess it depends what your after, on line competitive play or story etc... If its were for online co-op etc then the Battlefield franchise has always been very fun, especially if you get a couple of mates involved! Nothing quite beats rolling into someone's base in a black hawk with your two mates mowing people down with a couple of mini guns  

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 17
Battlefield 4 is my fav recent shooter. The campaign I havent even played because that is not what battlefield is best at, multiplayer is where its at. Bioshock games are fun, the shooting is maybe only ok but the mechanics with the plasmids makes it fun. Also the art style and story in those games is amazing. Also the halo series is awesome especially hte multiplayer but most the those are xbox exclusives. Also there are the classics of counterstrike and quake. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 17
What have you played?

Quake. Doom. Unreal. Duke Nukem 3d. F.E.A.R. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Duty 1. Crysis. Metro 2033/2034. Serious Sam. Shadow Warrior (both the original and the new).
Etc, etc...

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 17
Not sure which system you are playing or if you are on pc.

Both the Darkness games are way overlooked and underrated. Darkness 1 has poor gameplay mechanics and graphics but the story line is very interesting once you get into it. Darkness II has really fun gameplay mechanics and a great story, however graphics are cell shaded (I personally love this, others don't) and the story is only 5 hours long with multiplayer nearly non existent. You should be able to find both in the bargain bin, and both are better than any of the crap often found in those bins.

Killzone series is decent. You have to enjoy the relationship between real world situations, and the science fiction behind KZ to enjoy the story line. The graphics are always gorgeous. The controls can be off putting to some as you actually feel like your controlling something with weight not paper. Otherwise a basic, but solid shooter.

Battlefield is the best shooter online imo. The campaigns often bore me though. The newest one had a decently solid campaign, but it became uninspired near the end. The ending was down right lame. 

If your counting 3rd person shooters, then the Uncharted series is not to be missed. Last of Us is another great one. Both are pretty much like watching movies. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 17
BF4 multiplayer is pretty awesome, when it works... Gameplay is fairly frantic and maps are fairly varied, also if you are new to the multiplayer side of the BF series, don't be too disheartened if you end up dying a lot at first.

STALKER series with mods is also pretty fantastic, very moody and can be fairly challenging.

Crysis 1 and Warhead, better than the sequels, fun predator style gameplay, beautiful island setting and visuals.

RAGE was pretty cool, very pretty (despite the rather annoying pop-in) with tried and true id gunplay and a semi open world structure.

Fary Cry 2 and 3, both solid open world shooters. 

Hitman series, good sneak em up (well the first few were, the latest one not so much) with some pretty fun and tense gameplay.

Not really shooters in the traditional sense but Fallout 3/New Vegas are pretty damn good, also there are a lot of good mods out there.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 17
  BF4 multiplayer is pretty awesome, when it works... Gameplay is fairly frantic and maps are fairly varied, also if you are new to the multiplayer side of the BF series, don't be too disheartened if you end up dying a lot at first.

So much this. I wouldn't pay full price for BF4 till they get more of the bug ironed out. I got it for 25 bucks on black friday and that's all it is worth imo. Way too much crashing, I have never ever had that issue with another game that wasn't a beta or something. I bet in a year or 6 months it will be way better.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 17
  So much this. I wouldn't pay full price for BF4 till they get more of the bug ironed out. I got it for 25 bucks on black friday and that's all it is worth imo. Way too much crashing, I have never ever had that issue with another game that wasn't a beta or something. I bet in a year or 6 months it will be way better.

What are you playing on? It runs pretty smoothly on my PS4. I get kicked out once a while but the PS4 loading screens are so fast it really does not bug me too much.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 17
  What are you playing on? It runs pretty smoothly on my PS4. I get kicked out once a while but the PS4 loading screens are so fast it really does not bug me too much.

PC. Battlefield games are best on PC imo. I don't get kicked from games that often, maybe once every 3 hours. But I also didn't own the game till months after release when it had been patched many times. Also the netcode was pretty bad at first but is a little better now. My loading times are also super slow. Like hte slowest I have ever experienced. Maybe 2 or 3 mins per map.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 17
  PC. Battlefield games are best on PC imo. I don't get kicked from games that often, maybe once every 3 hours. But I also didn't own the game till months after release when it had been patched many times. Also the netcode was pretty bad at first but is a little better now. My loading times are also super slow. Like hte slowest I have ever experienced. Maybe 2 or 3 mins per map.

I agree with the PC is best for battlefield but none of my computers run it very well. I could run BFBC2 on my laptop ok, but BF3 makes my laptop overheat super fast. 

The PS4 loading times are similar for online games. It does not take long for the other menus to load though.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 17
Yeah my pc doesn't run bf4 the best. I have to put all settings on low to get 60 fps. And my graphics card is/was pretty good. ATI 6950. New consoles run bf4 pretty well it seems. Bf3 looked so bad on xbox 360 but bf4 looks like its running on high or maybe even ultra settings with 60 fps. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 17
I play BF4 and Ghosts and they are both good but different.

BF4 = bigger maps, 64 multiplayer, and more strategy involved imo...sometimes I get overwhelmed by all the action.
Ghosts= smaller maps , 24 multiplayer(I think) and gameplay is alot faster....you definately have to keep moving...lol

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 17
I used to love halo. I would play H1 demo for hours, H2 for years, H3 for years. Reach for maybe a year, halo 4 maybe 7 months. Eh, it's not as good as it used to be. But I tried KillZone shadowfall and got bored in 15 min lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back