Best setup for $2000
May 19, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$2000 headphone rig for movies and hip hop? hmmmmmmmm... are you sure you need to spend that much? just asking =P

i'd get a Corda Opera with DAC + Darth Beyers

Im looking for the best possible setup. I have a $2000 budget but it doesn't have to reach that, thats just the maximum I can spend.

May 19, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 21
Why not go electrostatic? ... used STAX Lambda/TSM-1 ($1000is) + Paradesia DAC (500) + used PS Audio 300 power conditioner with any remaining going to decent cables. This will get you a world-class set-up if you have a decent source.

May 19, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 21
...hip hop? not sure if electrostats will function with that since they need real music to work properly
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #19 of 21
Do this... buy each of these items one at a time and use each for at least two weeks before you buy the next item on the list.

-Koss KSC75 ($16) for open, amazing sounding portability... always a great start as it's the best value ever.
-Sony MDR-V6 ($80) for closed portability with decent bass and greatest durability ever... buy something that will last you a while.
-Alessandro MS-1 ($100) for better sounding KSC75. Buy bowls ($??) to complement the comfies / flats.
-Meier Corda 2Move ($275) for clean sounding DAC/amp combo.
-Darth Beyer or Denon D5000 (~$500ish)... this is what you're really after... but if you've only been listening to iPod buds, you should take it slow and easy, experiencing the other sounds first.
-Audio Technica AD900 ($250) for amazing soundstage and liquid mids to complete your collection.
-Get STAX if you feel like it can get any better... But you'd prolly be better off saving that extra $750 and spending it on a motorized bicycle or something.

May 19, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you interested in building this more for music or as a good experience for your video watching. I like many feel that the source is a critical, but often overlooked piece of the landscape if music is the focus.

Completely agreed.

May 19, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...hip hop? not sure if electrostats will function with that since they need real music to work properly
smily_headphones1.gif

Hah, I was waiting for this comment. Why even bother with hi-fi components if you listen to hiphop? I find it very limited musically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back