Best settings to use on iTunes to maximize the digital output quality of a macbook pro? (Toslink, USB > DAC)
Sep 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shoooze

New Head-Fier
The sound quality I get from my macbook pro using DAC/amp (both usb,toslink) is a bit underwhelming, compared to the same DAC/amp connected to my CD player, and ps3 both via toslink optical. Compared to the latter two the macbook's sound is less robust, hollow, and thin. I ran music off both CD's, and apple lossless with the same results from my macbook, as opposed to CD's from my Cd player, and PS3. 

I used iTunes with the equalizer off, and sound enhancer off as well. Is there a specific setting I should be aware of to optimize the sound output? Is there another music player that is superior to iTunes?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 10
This should do the trick.
bigsmile_face.gif

In iTunes
* Make sure "Crossfade songs", "Sound Enhancer" and "Sound Check" are turned OFF
* Make sure the EQ are turned OFF
* Make sure the volume is set to max (100%)

52261371.png

42861471.png

29977754.png

In Audio MIDI Setup:
* Make sure output is set to the same bit depth and sampling rate as the played back audio data. Example 16-bit/44.1kHz for CD audio.

92554164.png

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks!

I had all the itunes "enhancements" off, it just seemed to make the sound louder rather than improving the quality. In fact it probably degraded the quality.

The audio midi change helped, it was at 48khz, and when I switched it to 44.1khz the sound tightened up. It still doesn't sound as good as my dedicated cd player, or ps3 but it's a step in the right direction. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Use Pure Music.  http://www.channld.com/puremusic/index.html

It's about a million times better than itunes, but it uses the itunes interface.  Or you can try Amarra, but it's lots more expensive, and I'm not convinced it does any better of a job.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks!

I had all the itunes "enhancements" off, it just seemed to make the sound louder rather than improving the quality. In fact it probably degraded the quality.

The audio midi change helped, it was at 48khz, and when I switched it to 44.1khz the sound tightened up. It still doesn't sound as good as my dedicated cd player, or ps3 but it's a step in the right direction. 
smile_phones.gif

No way the iTunes "enhancements" could improve the sound quality. They sure can deteriorate the sound quality though...

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 10
I tried the junior version of Amarra and really liked what it did. I've got no clue "what" it did, but the results with it on are hard to argue with. I would also turn off the wireless and quit any other programs besides iTunes.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 10
I bought Pure Music, used it once or twice, and never used it again. I'm not convinced it is any better than the stock iTunes output. It might have sounded marginally different, but it was hard to tell. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical on weather the sound will improve. It's still running on the same hardware, so I can't imagine the improvements will be substantial, if any. I think the respective players have tweaked the equalizer, and other settings to "enhance" the output.

Either way, they're both free demo's so I have nothing to lose. I'll try them next weekend when I have some quality time to listen using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back