Best set of cans under $150?
Jul 24, 2014 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

theriseoftroy

Head-Fier
Hello, all!

I am looking for a set of headphones around $100-$150. I already have the AKG K550s, and the Beyerdynamic T90s. I listen to a lot of jazz, ambient, classical, acoustic, hip-hop, trip-hop, IDM, house. I will be powering these with a Fiio e12 Mont Blanc. I will mostly be using these headphones while traveling/commuting.

Some of the products I have been looking at are:
Audio Technica - ATHm50x
Denon - D1100
Koss - PortaPro with new ear-pads and the Kramer Mod
Vsonic - GR07
Shure - SE215-SE215LTD

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Best

Troy 

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 19
I would go with the ATHm50x from your list simply because it has the most speed/PRaT of anything you listed, and therefore, will sound the best with your last four genres.  I suspect your existing headphones will do much better with the first four genres.  I also like the PortaPro (haven't heard with the mod).

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 19
Maybe even the Brainwavs HM5 or the NVX Audio XPT100. Both of which I have read decent reviews on.

i take my NVX Xpt100's out sometimes, but they are a little large for that on a more regular basis. at least in my opinion. the sound is very isolated, so if you like to kinda hear your surroundings a little bit, they won't be for you. also, very neutral, up to you if that's your cup of tea.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 19
Maybe even the Brainwavs HM5 or the NVX Audio XPT100. Both of which I have read decent reviews on.

No reason to consider the HM5 over the NVX version. Same cups/drivers; same sound. BuySonic has the XPT100s for $71 shipped at the moment (you need to register to access their items). They are a new flash sale site for Sonic Electronix, which is a well known vendor for car audio. I do think these headphones are bit bulky for traveling. But at $71, probably the best price/performance value of everything you are considering. They are also extremely comfortable.

If when traveling or community your use is seated on a train, plane or in a car, consider also the original M50 with the coiled cable. I use mine all the time for traveling.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 19
No reason to consider the HM5 over the NVX version. Same cups/drivers; same sound. BuySonic has the XPT100s for $71 shipped at the moment (you need to register to access their items). They are a new flash sale site for Sonic Electronix, which is a well known vendor for car audio. I do think these headphones are bit bulky for traveling. But at $71, probably the best price/performance value of everything you are considering. They are also extremely comfortable.

If when traveling or community your use is seated on a train, plane or in a car, consider also the original M50 with the coiled cable. I use mine all the time for traveling.

that's an excellent price! i got mine for 80$ on sale, but this is even better. if you DO want good isolation, this is an excellent HP. great sound, super comfy, and even have spare thicker angled pads and a longer spare cable. mine were also from Sonix, good place to shop, both car stereo and non.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 19
that's an excellent price! i got mine for 80$ on sale, but this is even better. if you DO want good isolation, this is an excellent HP. great sound, super comfy, and even have spare thicker angled pads and a longer spare cable. mine were also from Sonix, good place to shop, both car stereo and non.

I definitely think that price makes them a difficult choice to pass up over other headphones in the under $150 range. Plus, that would leave room for a nice set of IEMs. Havi B3 Pro MK1, Ostry KC06, or Zero Audio Tenore Carbos are all excellent IEMs in the $60 to $70 range that compete with more popular IEMs on Head-Fi in the $100 to $125 range (such as GR07). I'd say get the NVX and one of those :)

Now if you can make it to the $200 range, then Soundmagic HP150 or HP100. I like them better than AKG K550, they don't have the fit problems of the K550s, slightly better sound to me, and more portable (come with a case).

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 19
Thank you all for the great responses. I think I will go with the XPT100s. I hear that they have a really great soundstage for a closed can. It will be interesting to compare them to my K550s... I purchased them from Sonix and they were $99 which I am fine with paying.

I was looking at the Soundmagic HP150s as well. I just wanted to save a little money :L I love my K550s, there are some useful mods to get them to fit right that I have used and they are a noticeably different set of phones after the modifications. I actually already have some IEMs on the way that I purchased earlier this week, the Shure SE215! All sorts of new audio equipment this week 
o2smile.gif
 My Mont Blanc will be arriving today, and after using my T90s un-amped for a few months now, I can't wait to hear how they sound with the Mont Blanc!!

Anyway, I think I will purchase the XPT100s. It was either them or the MRD-v6/7506. I think the XPT100s are the right choice. I plan to post a review of them amped because I haven't seen anyone review these cans with an amped/un-amped comparison...

Troy

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 19
Thank you all for the great responses. I think I will go with the XPT100s. I hear that they have a really great soundstage for a closed can.

Ehhhh...I'd probably re-research that. I've heard (and experienced) the opposite. I find the soundstage a little closed in. But as an overall value, I don't see how you could be unhappy with them, especially since it's clear you like a more balanced or neutral sound.

Nice thing about the XPT100s is you can experiment with the two different pads; I've only listened to them with the stock headphones (the XPT100s are my son's, not mine). If you need a travel case for them, the Brainwavz case on Amazon is only $16.50.

That E12 will give you plenty of power. LOL

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 19
Ehhhh...I'd probably re-research that. I've heard (and experienced) the opposite. I find the soundstage a little closed in. But as an overall value, I don't see how you could be unhappy with them, especially since it's clear you like a more balanced or neutral sound.

Nice thing about the XPT100s is you can experiment with the two different pads; I've only listened to them with the stock headphones (the XPT100s are my son's, not mine). If you need a travel case for them, the Brainwavz case on Amazon is only $16.50.

yeah I'll second that. it's more of a typical in your head type of sound stage as you'd expect from a closed can. but, not too bad. I've seen people use them for gaming without issue. also i love the carrying case it comes with, but it may be too large for some. YMMV

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 19
yeah I'll second that. it's more of a typical in your head type of sound stage as you'd expect from a closed can. but, not too bad. I've seen people use them for gaming without issue. also i love the carrying case it comes with, but it may be too large for some. YMMV

I am assuming you have tried the angle pads? What's the sound difference? Does it improve the soundstage?

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 19

Maybe I mis-read something... I think I will still be happy with the purchase. Soundstage is not my selling point, the quality of the sound is what matters to me. So with that considered, I think its a good can for me to add to my collection, especially for the price.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 19
I am assuming you have tried the angle pads? What's the sound difference? Does it improve the soundstage?

to be honest, for me, i don't use them much and when i do I'm not analyzing it. when not paying attention, no, no sound difference. for me anyways. i do use them laying down, helps position them. but for the rest of the time, i much prefer the flat pads.

edit: if i think about it, i THINK i get a little bit of a sound stage bump from them because they have thicker padding, but like i said i don't use them much aside from laying down.

edit #2: LOL @ the teenager approved review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back