Best semi-open headphones for Gaming
Oct 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RockonPC

New Head-Fier
Alright, I am looking for a pair of cans for around the $300 mark. These will be used strictly for FPS Gaming. Please note, I am looking for SEMI-OPEN or CLOSED heaphones. On my last thread almost everyone told me to get open cans, and while I understand I will get a better soundstage, I need semi-open or closed. I am currently using a pair of Astro A50s...

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 11
  Alright, I am looking for a pair of cans for around the $300 mark. These will be used strictly for FPS Gaming. Please note, I am looking for SEMI-OPEN or CLOSED headphones. On my last thread almost everyone told me to get open cans, and while I understand I will get a better sound stage, I need semi-open or closed. I am currently using a pair of Astro A50s...

Not a big difference between open and semi-open headphones, also depends on how open the semi-open headphones is.
What makes the semi-open headphones ok to use and normal headphones open headphone not usuable?
It might help to know what sources the headphones are going to be plugged into?

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 11
The headphones will be connected to my computer with a creative sound blaster card, I can get the model if needed. I've been looking around and saw that semi-open were able to give a large soundstage, like open headphones but did not let in/leak as much noise. Please let me know if that is true. I just don't want noise to leak in or out.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 11
The headphones will be connected to my computer with a creative sound blaster card, I can get the model if needed. I've been looking around and saw that semi-open were able to give a large sound stage, like open headphones but did not let in/leak as much noise. Please let me know if that is true. I just don't want noise to leak in or out.

Guess it would be nice to know the model number of the Creative Sound Blaster sound card?

AKG K24X series and some Superlux/Samson (clones of AKG K24Xs) are semi-open and have the least amount of air holes, compared to most other semi-open headphones.

The AKG K550 (closed) are though of having a great sound stage, for a closed headphone.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 11
  Okay, I have a Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D. I also have the Astro Wireless Mix amp if that would help me with "surround." As for the AKG K550, read some reviews about it, it seems like a solid pair of headphones, but I would like to know other peoples opinions, and have more options. 

I would say to sell off the Recon3D and buy a Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $99 (better audio quality).
If you have a sound card in your PC (Recon3D or Z series), can't see a good reason for needing the Astro Mix-amp, for use with the computer.
Astro mix-amp still good to have around for gaming console.

Harman Audio (owners of AKG) will sell refurb K550 with factory warranty, on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K550-Reference-Class-Hi-Fi-Headphones-Closed-Back-Design-/390673083116?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item5af5ee2aec

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 11
DT770 pro 80, if you appreciate good bass and want a nice soundstage. Your soundcard should be able to drive them with ease. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 11
I've been watching those, I may place a bid in the last few minutes.

My winning bid for the refurb K550 was $180.
I usually wait until about 8 seconds before the end to put my bid in.
My bid gets in and by the time someone else sees my "winning" bid, it's too late for them to try to enter a higher bid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back