best second albums of all time
Jun 30, 2002 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

carlo

Founder of 5 in heavy rotation
to continue on the whole best debut album thing, how about the sophmore efforts?

my list (no particular order):

garbage version 2.0 - unlike a lot of the posters on the debut thread, i thought their self titled album was crap. v 2.0 on the other hand was a hell of a lot more interesting musically and shirley manson just sounded worthy of the hype (then she lost it, but whatever, that's a whole other post). also one of those albums that i associate a lot of memories to, for my age group that album was literally the soundtrack to our lives.

nirvanna - nevermind: its too damned easy of a pick, but whatever
wink.gif

white light/white heat - i make no secret that the velvet underground is my favorite band, but jesus christ this album is all time good. by the time lady godiva comes around its a strugle to remember if i started out sober. the album is so good that it makes me NOT want to try heroin: if that **** makes you come out with music this damned great, then my ass would turn into a junkie. i need to make a shrine or something one day its so damned good.

negativland - points: their self titled debut was interesting, points is mind blowing. i recently got the orginal pressing (non see through blue versions) and it was worth the hunt: layering upon layering upon layering, one of the most underrated and influencial bands in modern day electronica/sampling.

radiohead - the bends: once again, big fan. but i can't believe a band who started off with something as lame as pablo honey could create the bends. then they started off on, imo, one of the great three album runs of all time.

nick cave - the firstborn is dead: sometimes he gets so damned serious i can't help but laugh, i don't think another guy got his sense of emotion vocally except for johnny cash, and that's as great of a compliment i can think of.

lucinda williams - car wheels on a gravel road: i liked her self titled debut, i loved car wheels. that was a really cool time in music: radiohead ok computer, the deftones around the fur, garbage version 2.0, and a hell of a lot of good **** were selling copies. dylan's 1966 "royal albert hall" (really manchester) bootleg was finally rereleased and it was the first time i had ever heard it. still, i think car wheels on a gravel road was my favorite release of that period.

most disappointing (of releases during my time):

the wallflowers - breach: its hard for me to admit but i thought the band had real potential to drop the formulaic sound and progress past bringing down the horses. but instead they turn into matchbox 20
very_evil_smiley.gif

liz phair - whipsmart: its okay, but exile in guyville was so great that i hoped for a lot more. went from brilliant to mediocre in a hurry.

woohoo, more lists
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 17
I'll basically do the metal shop version of best sophmores. Here's my list of favorite 2nd albums by hard rock and metal artists:

Led Zepplin II was a lot better than their first album and also a lot more popular. That one's pretty obvious, I think.

Iron Maiden - Killers Considered by many to have some of Maiden's best tracks to date including the title track and Twilight Zone. Of course, I prefer these songs with the current lead singer (Bruce DIckinson) singing, but it's an awesome album.

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt I Helloween's first album was a raw German thrash album. The second album added a new vocalist, interesting lyrics and band unity that shot them into progressive metal. Haven't heard of them? Check this one out. Most consider it their best work. (This is only their second album if you don't count the EP, how does this work?)

Dream Theater - Images and Words New lead singer. Interesting lyrics. Success. I'm beginning to repeat myself, here. This is the one that had their only real hit to date, "Pull Me Under" and what established Dream Theater as a progressive rock leader. They've done better work since, but this was what got most of us on board.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa This begins Mercyful Fate's delve into what could only be called ghost stories. This is a precursor to King Diamond's Abigail that would come years later. Melissa is, of course, haunting. This one was responsible for a goth metal shift. I kind of miss this genre. And I miss lyrics like "all hail Satan." I'm actually serious. (This one only counts if you DO count the EP has the first album.)

WASP - The Last Command WASP's second album put them on the map, much to the dismay and discomfort of the PTA and PMRC. This one had a hit single for which the video featured members of ZZ Top. Of course, it could only be I'mmmmm blind in TEXAS. Wonder why I like that one so much.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid Do I even have to say anything here? Album contains "Iron Man" and "Paranoid", the band's two biggest hits. Despite that, it's really an awesome album, well surpassing their first.

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman The second album to feature the incredible lineup of Ozzy, Tommy Aldridge on drums, Randy Rhodes on guitar and Rudy Sarzo on bass. While the first album, Blizzard of Ozz had the big hits, this album was really creative and influencial. "Little Dolls" is one of my favoirite songs. Unfortunately, it was the tour to support this album that saw the end of Randy Rhode's short life.

Tool - Undertow Tool is unleashed in their second album featuring the hit claymation video of "Sober." "Prison Sex" became a fan favorite with lyrics I'm not sure I can type here without getting the thread closed. This CD should be in everyone's collection.

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom Alright, so this one's not metal but I couldn't leave it out. This is a 1990 album that is like a heavy Texas blues influenced Joe Satriani only with a guy who can sing. A couple of songs that made short radio appearances were "Cliffs of Dover" and "Desert Rose." This album is for anyone who likes the electirc guitar.

And that's 10.

Jun 30, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 17
Metallica: Ride the Lightning
Stabbing Westward: Darkest Days
Dave Matthews Band: Crash
Oasis: whats the story Morning Glory?
Radiohead: the bends
Garbage: version 2.0
Jeff Buckley: sketches of my sweetheart, the drunk
The cranberries: no need to argue
Keb Mo: just like you
Fear Factory: demanufacture

Jun 30, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 17
kelly: Undertow is Tool's debut album - Opiate is an EP, I think.

My favorite seconds:

Aenema (Tool)
The Bends (Radiohead)
Sparkle And Fade (Everclear)
and others - nice question....

Jun 30, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 17
Have to agree with The Bends and Aenima, but let's not forget Axis: Bold As Love or Quicksand's Manic Compression (second full album, anyway).

Jul 1, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 17
here's a few punk bands (which no one here listens to)

MXPX - Teenage Politics
Blink182 - Dude Ranch
Cake - Fashion Nugget
The Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About
NOFX - Ribbed

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 17
Originally posted by coolvij

opiate is an ep

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 17
Exhorder's second album The Law is better than Slaughter in the Vatican. Most Exhorder fans think the oppostite. They are fools. The Law has their cover of Sabbath's Into The Void, the best cover of any Black Sabbath song since Faith No More's version of War Pigs.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 17
Originally posted by blink180tone
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
opiate is an ep

*shrug* I explained twice that I didn't know whether to count EP's as first releases or not.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

carlo said...

garbage version 2.0 - unlike a lot of the posters on the debut thread, i thought their self titled album was crap.

Blasphemy!
mad.gif

Quote:

gloco said...

Stabbing Westward: Darkest Days
Dave Matthews Band: Crash
Oasis: whats the story Morning Glory?
The cranberries: no need to argue

Seconded. [/pun]

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
I second Paranoid. The album after that is even better imo and is one of the heaviest albums ever it is called Master Of Reality.

Matt
Vol. 4 is actually in my top 10 albums of all time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Matt
Vol. 4 is actually in my top 10 albums of all time.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL. One of my fav too. Actually you can't go wrong with the first six Sabbath albums IMO. That last song on Vol 4 Under The Sun is my one of my favorite songs from any band. One of the most depressing songs ever made but thats how I like it. Loud and depressing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back