Best SACD player on SACD performance
Mar 1, 2003 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
There seems to be a lot of discussions about redbook performance on SACD players. Actually I'm more interested in knowing which player in your opinion has the best SACD performance? In particular, 2 channel SACD playback, since this is a headphone forum.
wink.gif

Your opinion is appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 42
Are we talking cost no object? Probably would be tough to beat Accuphase's SACD transport/DAC combo, or dCS' Verdi transport/Elgar Plus DAC/Purcell upsampler combo.

Mar 1, 2003 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 42
I'd like opinion on players that you actually listened to....

For my own sake, I'd like to put an affordable (for me) price cap as well, let's say $2k. But feel free to discuss any players you have experience with.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 42
from what modwright said, his signature modded sacd1000 is comparable to a sony scd-1, and in some areas, it's preferred over the scd-1

my unit will be sent to him for sig mods next week. if you're interested, i'll let you know what i think of the modded player when i get it back

Mar 1, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by GTecX
from what modwright said, his signature modded sacd1000 is comparable to a sony scd-1, and in some areas, it's preferred over the scd-1

my unit will be sent to him for sig mods next week. if you're interested, i'll let you know what i think of the modded player when i get it back

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely interested.
redface.gif
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Is SACD1000 still available?

What do you think of it unmodded?

Mar 1, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 42
Unmodded, I easily prefer it over the 963SA, in which I find to be lacking in the lows and mids, and musicality as well. In my opinion, the sacd1000 is a smooth, detailed, and neutral sounding player.

I picked up my SACD1000 from Tweeter for $400. It's discontinued and if you're lucky, you can probably get it somewhere for around that much. If not, then you can check the listings at audiogon.

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 42
I own a Sony SCD-C555ES which sounds really good IMO. I have no reason to complain.
However, I have not auditioned any other SACD players so I cannot offer opinion with regards to its sound relative to other players.

OTHER OPTIONS:
Looking over the Stereophile Recommended Components (Oct 2002), the SCD-XA777ES is listed in their class A+, the SCD-C555ES was class A before it was removed (unit no longer in production), and the philips SACD1000 is listed as class B.

The XA777ES is listed at $3000, but I am fairly certain that it can be had for closer to or under your 2000 cap. (I think I saw federal stereo had one for like $1980). i've found Oade Brothers (www.oade.com) is pretty tough to beat on sony sacdp prices as well, and they are an authorized sony ES dealer too. I ordered my C555ES from them for 620 shipped. To get their pricing information, you will have to call or email, though.

I do not to imply that the stereophile ratings are universally accepted/absolute, but they can offer you a starting point. Further, you can check out the stereophile website and read their reviews of the products and get more information about the strengths/weaknesses of each.

On a related note, the XA777ES has been receiving a lot of positive reviews and awards as one of the best availible sources. It does, however, also offer multichannel playback and what stereophile suggests is class A redbook playback: features you mentioned that you do not need.

Just some more ideas for you to look into.

good luck on your quest!

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 42
I wouldn't rule out a modded DVP-s9000ES either!

Mine is un-modded, and sounds great. (although I haven't compared it to any others) I think Modwright is still modding these??

Edit: I don't know if this player falls under "Best" but it's damn good.

It can be had for around $700 un-modded on Audiogon
Modwright Level III mods are $800 .....leaving $500 for cables!
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 42
The 9000ES is discontinued I believe. Too bad I didn't get one while it's on closeout sale.
frown.gif

From the responses so far, looks like only Sony and Philips are available in this price range. Has anyone compare performance between the Sony and the Philips players? I'd like to hear from you. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 42
the philips was downgraded to 'B' due to non-spectacular red book capabilities...also costs 500 bucks, 1/4th of the sony 777.

at 2k, I'll strech a little and get a used Sony SCD1.

at 1.5, a almost new Sony 777.

at 1k, I'll wait for the new Yamaha universal player.

at 500, I'll grab a sacd 1000.

the best bang for the buck: modify a sacd 1000-superclock, state of the art analog stage and power supply for less than 1.5k...

Mar 1, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 42
On that comparo, the opinions are very divergent...I didn't listen to one, but on a second thought it may be a better solution for mods, as it lacks the sacd's 1000 superclock, has el-cheapo power supply and opamps in analog stage [ the 1000 has Marantz modules and a huge toroidal PS] but has newer DAC chips...if you are interested only in stereo sacd, the upsampling, the bass management and the superior video performance of the 963 may be less important...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back