best rubycon blackgate's alternative
Jul 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 38
I just had my Wadia S7i modded (BG's by the way) to the Statement level by Great Northern Sound Company. Right out of the box, the sound is more than I could have imagined. We all have opinions, and mine says Black Gate uber alles.

May 21, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #32 of 38
May 22, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:
What is the best replacement for a bipolar [size=x-small]BlackGate NX 1000 uF 25V[/size]?

Are the nichicon Muse ES 1000uF/25vdc the right? Gives better bipolar replacement caps?
The nichicon Muse ES 1000uF/25vdc costs only about $1,45 - but for the BlackGates I pay'd about $12,50 from percyaudio.

http://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1117&idcategory=40
http://www.percyaudio.com/

Are you sure you need a bipolar cap? What is the application?

May 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:
Are you sure you need a bipolar cap? What is the application?

Yes, I use them to protect expensive headphones from DC (offset and DC protection) instead of a DC protection circuit with an relais.

In my own build WNA MKII I use bipolar [size=small]BlackGate NX 1000 uF 25V[/size] without herable differences.
For my next projects I want to get some bipolar 1000uF caps. Later I will biuld a DC protection circiut.

Some says bipolar BlackGates electrolytic caps are better in PSU too.

May 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #35 of 38
You don't need bi-polars as output caps.  There are some who think they inherently sound better, but only if you are comparing like capacitors.  If you can find a brand that sounds excellent without being bipolar, there's no disadvantage.

IMHO, the Elna Silmic RFS II's are as good or better than the old BG NX's.  The only disadvantage was they tended to be huge in size, but their lower price, availability, and lack of requirement for the infamous BG break-in time makes up for their huge size.  They are readily available at DigiKey or Handmade Electronics.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #36 of 38

There are only a little DC voltage on the output (under 20 ... 100mV)
Need Elna Silmic RFS II a low Voltage to formate the plates?
As far as I know they are not bi-polar.
An other way to simulate bi-polar is to use two caps in series, but one in reverse polarized.
Downside - two  Z-parameters in addition.

PS: I coming back, but my bipolar BlackGate NX 1000 uF 25V growing older 
angry_face.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #37 of 38
 Personally, I really only use the Black Gate N and NX/Hi-Q types for signal path applications. I think the others listed above are better for PSU applications.

Gives there an replacement for the non-polar BlackGate NX 1000µF 25V in signal path, with the same or better performance?

Nelson Pass said that the Elna silks are the best electrolytic capacitor he's heard and measured.

Gives Elna silks in a non polar 1000µF 25V version?

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #38 of 38

Personally, I really only use the Black Gate N and NX/Hi-Q types for signal path applications. I think the others listed above are better for PSU applications.

Gives there an replacement for the non-polar BlackGate NX 1000µF 25V in signal path, with the same or better performance?

Not really.  The Nichicon Muse ES comes as close as possible.  It's fantastic for bass, but really needs a 0.1uf - 0.33uf film bypass for the higher frequencies.

Quote: Originally Posted by FritzS /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
 Nelson Pass said that the Elna silks are the best electrolytic capacitor he's heard and measured.

Gives Elna silks in a non polar 1000µF 25V version?

I definitely agree with Nelson Pass about the Elnas.  The Elna Silmic RFS II is every bit as good as the Black Gate NX in the audio signal path.  If you really must have a bipolar cap, though, use the Muse ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back