Best Rock & Roll Drummer
Nov 8, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 49
Someone else to add to the list would be Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine, he's one of those very subtle drummers often overlooked in todays world b/c he rarley takes the front with his drumming technique. His interaction and accents of the bass-lines and guitar lines in both Rage and Audioslave are amazing, not to mention his slight improve on Bonham's drum line in the Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page/Brad Wilk cover/tribute to Kashmir.
Though on a whole I think Kieth Moon is w/o a doubt the best drummer in rock history, followed by Bonham and then Danny Carey of Tool. (Which reminds me; no Carey? What were u thinking, just listen to his cymbol/snare work during Lateralus (the song) and you'll come to question what it is you thought you knew about music, I did.)

Nov 8, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 49
I love Living Sacrifice's drummer, I forgot who he is (I think he's from eso-charis); I think they got a new one... I dunno, but he adds a real presence to their music and it's not always out-front, but can get outrageous. Embodyment's drummer is really good too. The Agony Scene has some good parts for the drums, but I dunno if he's any good. Thought I'd point out some from my style of music.

Nov 8, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 49
Peart literally 0wns all. Also, tied, IMO, Carl Palmer and Bill Bruford. I'm leaning towards Bruford, he is such a bad-ass.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #21 of 49
Ginger Baker again. All those inventive cross-rhythms. Even on pop tracks like "Sunshine of your Love", the drumming is really interesting. Most pop drummers just keep time...

Nov 9, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Brandon_Ottawa
Dave Grohl...Nirvana. Did some Queens of the Stone Age stuff...and lead singer, lead guitar for Foo Fighters. Multi-talented. Wicked drummer in my opinion.

yeah, grohl--i knew i was forgetting someone. nirvana's "in utero" has his drums very forward in the recording; grohl has got power and an almost metronome like accuracy. i also liked his work on "songs for the deaf", but they buried his drums in the mix.

Nov 9, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 49
Added Mitchell (did someone mention that already?)

Plus, does Ringo count as a drummer? I'm glad he got no votes.

Keith Moon gets my vote.

Nov 9, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #25 of 49
i think the question should read "best drummer from an ESTABLISHED rock group." i'm sure there are plenty of rock & roll drummers out there that are better than... say, Keith Moon, who is ALWAYS namedropped as rock's best drummer.

that said, i'm surprised that Lars Ulrich is not included in this list, as he is always namedropped as well. i have nothing against Chris Franz, i think Talking Heads was an amazing band, but a lot of his drumming patterns are fairly simple. a lot of the rhythms were augmented by African Percussionists, especially on "Remain In Light."

for post-punk bands, Larry Mullen Jr. is good, but there are plenty better, like Boris Williams from The Cure, Stephen Morris (often called the Human Metronome and the Human Drum Machine) from Joy Division/New Order, Reni from The Stone Roses, and Loz Colbert from Ride.

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #29 of 49
Well, I voted for Neil Peart of RUSH, but given the alternative, I would also consider Danny Carey of TOOL...

Nov 10, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #30 of 49
Man I wish I hadn't voted for Keith, because I would have voted for Levon Helm. He was damn good..... ust damn good.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back