Best Rock 'Phones?
Mar 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what everyone here thinks is the best pair of headphones for rock under $1500 (to exclude all of the ridiculously rare high end cans like R10, L3000, etc.). Closed, open, anything goes.

List your top 3!

For me, from what I've actually heard in that price range, my top 3 looks something like this:

1. RS1/HF-2 (depends on the kind of rock)
2. MD5000
3. D5000

I haven't heard a lot of different headphones sadly so outside of those 4 I haven't heard too much else, mainly just ATs and Senns.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 30
1.) beyerdynamic T1
2.) Grado RS1i (by a hair over the RS1)
3.) Denon D7000

I chose cans that I owned (or used to own in the case of the D7000) because I was most familiar with them. FWIW, the HF-2 would be my number 4.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by socalguy124 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think denon's are that great for rock...unless you can balance in the mids with an EQ. Otherwise, the bass drowns out the guitar.

I really disagree with this. I can see how on the D5000 the bass can become slightly overpowering, but not on the D7000s. And add the J$ pads and they are the best closed cans (and 3rd best I've ever owned) for rock!
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really disagree with this. I can see how on the D5000 the bass can become slightly overpowering, but not on the D7000s. And add the J$ pads and they are the best closed cans (and 3rd best I've ever owned) for rock!
icon10.gif

I have not tried the d7000 or the jmoney pads so perhaps i was being a little too general with my statement. But I will say that the d2000 and d5000 aren't great rock headphones with just their stock pads and no EQ to balance things out.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by socalguy124 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not tried the d7000 or the jmoney pads so perhaps i was being a little too general with my statement. But I will say that the d2000 and d5000 aren't great rock headphones with just their stock pads and no EQ to balance things out.

I agree with your statement here. The D7000s with the J$ pads have outstanding bass that does not interfere in any way with the mids. I highly recommend you give them a listen.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 30
For rock, I agree that Grados are most excellent for rock from the SR60 to the PS1000, but I find that I prefer the AD2000 for rock. The AD2000 are very similar to Grados in that it's upfront and has a nicely colored midrange, but they also differ in that they don't have the treble peaks that Grados have, which some may find painful. You can almost say the AD2000 are Grados but without the hurt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

1.) beyerdynamic T1

Really? Even with stuff that isn't that well recorded?

I was actually thinking of upgrading my D5000s to LA7000 Lites some time soon, but if T1s are better they're cheaper as well, so that puts me in a bit of a predicament...

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Even with stuff that isn't that well recorded?

I was actually thinking of upgrading my D5000s to LA7000 Lites some time soon, but if T1s are better they're cheaper as well, so that puts me in a bit of a predicament...

No really...it is the best...and this is coming from a huge Grado fan (and former D7000 owner).

It works well with poorly recorded material too...certainly better than the HD800s do.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

No really...it is the best...and this is coming from a huge Grado fan (and former D7000 owner).

It works well with poorly recorded material too...certainly better than the HD800s do.

How do you think they'd drive from an Audio-GD C2, or SS amps in general? Just upgraded my rig so if I were to get them I wouldn't want to have to sell it all again.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you think they'd drive from an Audio-GD C2, or SS amps in general? Just upgraded my rig so if I were to get them I wouldn't want to have to sell it all again.

I wouldn't let the 600 ohms scare you. I pretty much keep the volume setting on my amp at the same 12 o'clock setting with both the HD800s and T1s. While being pretty high impedance cans, they are very efficient and use a very light driver.

I would however say that for "more" optimal conditions, they would pair with tubes better. I've heard them on a buddy's SS amp and they were fantastic, but I still preferred my tube amp. But then again, I almost always do (except for the K701/2).

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 30
I know I am in the minority but I think the 70x are great with rock also. Of course all the Grados I've had are terrific also, to me, the AKG does rock justice. My AKGs are getting most of my time. I'll never sell the HF-2 but I prefer the 70x headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back