Best rock/hip-hop/techno headphones for under $200
Feb 22, 2004 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LargeSock

New Head-Fier
I currently own Grado SR-80's and Etymotics ER-4S, with my source alternating between a Pioneer DV-563A and my PC with an Audigy 2. My amp is a Headroom Total Airhead. That out of the way, I'm looking for a headphone that'll beat my Grado's for listening to the genres in the subject line.

I find that listening to rock for very long with my Ety's simply gets uninteresting. Something about its flat response is boring...bass drums don't seem to have the right amount of kick; distorted guitars sound too much like distortion and not enough like music. Don't get me wrong, I love them for jazz/classical/acoustic music, and I would never give them up, but I find myself reaching for my SR-80's most of the time I listen to music.

After listening through my Ety's though, the Grado's sound extremely muddy and lacking in detail; as if I were listening to them through a thick scarf. So I think what I'd like is some sort of balance; something with considerably more detail than the SR-80's, but with stronger bass and impact than the ER-4S.

My two main considerations right now are the Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro's and Grado SR-225's, but I'm open to suggestion. What are the good and bad aspects of these two phones? If I buy the SR-225's will I ever want to listen to my SR-80's again?

Thanks for all the help!

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by LargeSock
distorted guitars sound too much like distortion and not enough like music.

I'm having this problem with a lot of the rock music I'm forced to listen to at work.
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by nierika
I'm having this problem with a lot of the rock music I'm forced to listen to at work.
frown.gif

Heh, I'm listening to Death - "Human" right now, and the uber-heavy distortion could not sound any more musical to my ears
biggrin.gif

I would bet that if you bought the SR225, the SR80 would be relegated to the scrap heap, If the SR80 gives you the generak sound you want, then it makes all the sense in the world to up-grado to the SR225 for more clarity and detail. The DT770 is an entirely different sound from the grados, it is like having a piar of subs strapped to your head. The bass is perfect, deep, and powerful, never muddy, but it overwhlems the rest of the music, to the point that I call them the "rythm section cans"
basshead.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 6
The SR-225 does make a lot of sense; however, if I get them I'll end up with the Ety's and the SR-225's; the SR-80's will be obsolete.

If I get the DT770Pro's, then I'll still have a Grado pair, but have the Beyer in addition...but I just don't know. Perhaps Headroom and judicious abuse of their return policy is the answer.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by LargeSock
The SR-225 does make a lot of sense; however, if I get them I'll end up with the Ety's and the SR-225's; the SR-80's will be obsolete.

If I get the DT770Pro's, then I'll still have a Grado pair, but have the Beyer in addition...but I just don't know.

I think you're right here. If had some SR-80's and wanted to keep them I would try and get a different brand just to have something different in the collection. Hip-hop and techno is usually already bass heavy so maybe the Beyer, if they are bass heavy, would create just too much bass which would be a bit overpowering. You may have to consider something else. Have you considered the Audio-Technica ATH-A900? Or the about to be released Sennheiser HD 595? Or one of the AKG's?

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions, 3lusiv3. From my research on the forums here, I've compiled these snap judgments of the headphones currently in the running. Where am I wrong and where have I oversimplified to the point of overlooking features of these headphones?

Audio Technica A900 - Deep, loud bass, recessed midrange, some sibilance
Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro - Lots of bass, yet still fairly accurate bass; warm, muddy sound, sibilance and harsh treble
Grado SR-225 - Punchy bass and a bright sound
AKG K271-S - Airier and more analytical than the DT770, more forward midrange; excellent bass but not overly loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back