Best Ripping software for Mac
Apr 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are ripping the same track with both Mac programs and one sounds better than the other?

I have used a number of programs to rip and with decent condition cds and cannot find itunes to be worse or better than any other ripping software on pc or Mac. And I have yet to see any published posts that delve deeply into the subject with a controlled test on a high resolution Mac based system that validates one ripping software over the other. Perhaps with really scratched disks, but the majority of us have taken care of our cds.

And you are using a PC with rips from db and a Mac with XLD and you are hearing a difference? This makes sense, because different players on different platforms will sound different. Especially when you factor in memory usage, internal disk, file format, etc.

I think this is a can of worms but on my system and to my ear (an my wifes!) I/we can hear differences between different ripping software. I have been playing around a lot with XLD and Max and I think I am settling on XLD. I really do like dbpoweramp but at this point I think XLD is sounding about the same and works on my Mac.

I am listening to ALL of my rips through a Mac Mini with a M2Tech Hiface going into a highly modified Valab NOS DAC through Naim electronics and a pair of small 2 way PMC speakers.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is a can of worms but on my system and to my ear (an my wifes!) I/we can hear differences between different ripping software. I have been playing around a lot with XLD and Max and I think I am settling on XLD. I really do like dbpoweramp but at this point I think XLD is sounding about the same and works on my Mac.

I am listening to ALL of my rips through a Mac Mini with a M2Tech Hiface going into a highly modified Valab NOS DAC through Naim electronics and a pair of small 2 way PMC speakers.

One way to check would be to cmp the files. If you get a 0 you know they are identical.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 19
I've been having no trouble with XLD, it's a very lightweight and fast program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back