Best RIP software vs Mac (as good or better than EAC)?
Jul 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rip has actually been in beta stage since last year.
I have been using it since beta 1, and it has matured a lot during the 6-7 months it has been in development. To a stage where it now feels quite stable, secure and user friendly.

Until December I am sure it has come even a way further.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still ripping complete albums with a Mac Mini in Apple Lossless with iTunes. I enjoy the iTunes playback experience and the rips with error correction are very listenable. However, if Rip is a sure fire way to get accurate rips in ALAC, I am all for it provided the ripped tagged music files are easily integrated into iTunes.

Can someone advise how he/she is adding the music files into iTunes so that the structure is the same as if it was ripped and tagged by iTunes? This is important to me as I keep the database files on the internal hard drive, the music files consolidated in one folder on an external hard drive and back up the music files to another hard drive with Chronosyn. I can always add the artwork with iTunes after the album is added to the database and music folder. I am not in the computer industry so I need pretty detailed instructions. As always, I appreciate the advise and assistance.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #47 of 61
auee. I organize my iTunes library (file structure) manually.
Rip the CD with 'Rip', then move the resulting folder into the iTunes\iTunes Music\ folder.
Code:

Code:
[left]iTunes\iTunes Music\Codec (ALAC, AIFF, ..)\Artist\Album\Track#. Song_title.ext[/left]

Then manually drag and drop the newly added folder into the iTunes window. Adding it to the library.

How iTunes organize the folder structure when ripping I do not know.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #48 of 61
With max I know you can have it add to library, so you could look at your existing itunes library, see the structure, tell rip to save the files in that structure and add them to itunes (provided it lets you like max) and that could solve any issues.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

auee. I organize my iTunes library (file structure) manually.
Rip the CD with 'Rip', then move the resulting folder into the iTunes\iTunes Music\ folder.
Code:

Code:
[left]iTunes\iTunes Music\Codec (ALAC, AIFF, ..)\Artist\Album\Track#. Song_title.ext[/left]

Then manually drag and drop the newly added folder into the iTunes window. Adding it to the library.

How iTunes organize the folder structure when ripping I do not know.

Thank you for the information; very kind of you.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With max I know you can have it add to library, so you could look at your existing itunes library, see the structure, tell rip to save the files in that structure and add them to itunes (provided it lets you like max) and that could solve any issues.

Thanks; I downloaded Max already for converting FLAC files to ALAC for playback in iTunes. I think I will try this with a hi-resolution disc. Otherwise, I am just going to keep ripping with iTunes. It is working so I do not see a reason to mess with it for a potential improvement on scratched discs, which I do not have anyway.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #51 of 61
As far as I can tell MAX is just as good as EAC if you use the cdparanoia ripper (in the options). You can tweak the settings there to make it as cautious as you'd like, but if the CD has no scratches the default settings (using cdparanoia) are fine. If you are able to use cdparanoia, MAX is comparing bits and not caching audio.

If you are serious I'd try a using a mac pro or get a good well-made external drive from a manufacturer like Plextor, though - the drives in the apple notebooks are adequate but not great at handling damaged discs.

Given the standardization of the internal drives in macs I'd be surprised if there were any sample transposition/offset issues with MAX.

Correction, sbooth himself recommends using RIP over MAX if you're worried about track offset issues: http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2532

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #52 of 61
Using Rip right now to do all my CDs in ALAC, they all got scrambled since I last did a large portion of them so it is warranted to do it again, as it doesn't take much longer than looking for unripped ones.

I have noticed it crashes a fair amount sometimes randomly but that may be due to its early nature. Usually every 5 disks i have a crash.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #53 of 61
^ Yeah, Rip is still in beta stage so crashes/issues may happen.
Hope you take time reporting the crashes back to Stephen, as he will need to be made aware of them to hopefully come up with a fix.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #54 of 61
I could not figure out how to configure Rip. Is there a way to open the program and go through the configuration options? I am having a lot of difficulty figuring out this program, I am embarrassed to say.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #55 of 61
^ There are no configuration guide.
But you can manually go through its preferences. Not that much important to set anyway (if default is not fine).
* Output folder.
* File and Folder naming.
* Encoder.
* Metadata provider.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

^ There are no configuration guide.
But you can manually go through its preferences. Not that much important to set anyway (if default is not fine).
* Output folder.
* File and Folder naming.
* Encoder.
* Metadata provider.

Could you give me some instructions on how to access the preferences settings after download of the program? This program is giving me fits.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #57 of 61
Launch the application, then go "Rip -> Preferences..." (or Command + ,)

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Launch the application, then go "Rip -> Preferences..." (or Command + ,)

Thanks, I'll download it again and give it another try.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #59 of 61
Just where you find Preferences in any application for Mac OS X.
wink.gif

picture1hoo.png

picture2aix.png

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #60 of 61
To work with metadata you can use tag and manage FLAC's smoothly, to play music use decibel and you got a full audiophile software setup (both of them are by sbooth)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back