Best redbook player under 1k?
May 25, 2003 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
My adventures in Di/O modding have ended abruptly when the thing suddenly died after working fine for some time. Regardless, i need a source upgrade anyway, i suppose it's a nice conicednece. So, what great redbook sources can i get for under 1k. SACD would be nice, but i would perfer a player with superior redbook over one with medicore redbook and SACD

May 25, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 4
modified music hall CD25 from unerwoodwally on audiogon. modified by parts connextion. Get the level two(or sometimes called the one plus) for 975.00 shipped. Comes with full warrantee. This player is as good or better than any sub 2000.00 cdp that I've spent time with. Reviews, photo's and list of upgrades at www.6moons.com Read both the reviews. They compare the stock- level one- level one plus against each other and the Cairn Fog V2 w/upsampling. If your not into this try the used market for a good deal. Good luck.

May 25, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 4
I would second Tom's recommendation. I love the stock Music Hall MMF-CD25 for redbook. I plan on having mine modded this summer.

However, you might also consider the Philips DVD963SA. It is only ~$400 and unlike most multi-format players, it doesn't compromise sonically in any area from what I have read. Plus, you can have it modded as well for about $800 (~$1200 total).

I can't say which one to go for because I have never heard either player modded. Someday it would be awesome to read a comparison of both players modded (or even unmodded) for redbook, but AFAIK, such a comparison does not exist.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back