Best redbook DAC for real 3D imaging, texture, presence, PRAT, vividness ?
Aug 17, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 5
  Best redbook DAC for real 3D imaging, texture, presence, PRAT & vividness ?

(think SET sound)

great power supply design mandatory

max. 3k used

-Just about anything with a decent analog stage would do nicely. My recommendation would be the Benchmark DAC2 in some incarnation - it is designed by professionals for professionals, all specs are stellar, built like a brick s***house and retails new at $2k or so, depending on configuration. (I've owned a DAC1 since the late nineties and a DAC2 HGC since last year - massive overkill for home use, but then again - overkill is a way of life and an integral part of this hobby... :)

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 5
  Best redbook DAC for real 3D imaging, texture, presence, PRAT & vividness ?

(think SET sound)

great power supply design mandatory

max. 3k used

If I was after real 3D imaging and I have $3,000 to spend on the DAC alone, I'd much rather empty one room in the house (save for a listening chair and if it's just my bedroom, get a folding couch bed), spend a chunk of that money on acoustic panels all over the room, sell my headphone system, and then buy decent speakers, an amp to drive them, and then maybe <$500 on a DAC. It's not going to get a lot better on a headphone relative to how much money you're willing to throw at it.

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 5
It will be for a speaker system actually. The best I have heard so far was the dcs gear but too $$$. I thought about resolution audio cantata, prism lyra 1, bakoon 9730.

can you recommend a r2r ladder dac up to 3k used? i don't care if it is 16/44 only. how long will the internal parts perform to its best (caps) ? or how old can the dac be? I would prefer a pro audio ladder dac due to better resale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back