Best Redbook CD-Changer as a Transport?
Oct 8, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Are you trying to use the Sony SACD player as a CD changer transport? Look into McIntosh. They have a CD changer that's pretty decent and would make a wonderful transport.

Oct 8, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 7
SteeleBlayde,
The Sony 555ES and 333ES are the best-made changers I'm aware of, they share the same basic chassis, but the 555ES has a better DAC set. I would get that 555ES modified by Matthew Anker at www.sacdmods.com instead of using it as a transport. Redbook CD playback is nothing short of stunning on that player after the mods, no need at all for an expensive external DAC. The mods run about $600, sacdlover, Nightfall and Bluesaint also have the sacdmods 555ES and love it. Nightfall took his to a meet and it was well-received by others there. If you do a search, you'll find a huge review from me on the player. Good luck!

Mark

Oct 8, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 7
The ARCAM MCD is a fine CD changer that can be used as a transport.

It's fitted with a high-quality Sony transport. It stores the discs stacked in an internal bay and swaps them out as and when needed. It's almost like a single cd player in the way that it works hence the very clean sound from it.

Arcam decided against the magazine loading or carousel system as the mechanics of such a system are too messy to work with effectively without it encroaching on the overall sound.

Just my $0.02

Oct 9, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
If you do a search, you'll find a huge review from me on the player. Good luck!

I have that review bookmarked. That thread is so big its intimidating!

Oct 9, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Check out the old California Audio Labs changer. I believe is was the CL-10? Anyway, the only changer that ever sounded any good w/ redbook in my experience [edit: spelling].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back