Best recording quality from classical label.
Dec 27, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 30
All the Sheffield Labs re-recordings I've heard are also super. And the Mobile Fidelity are legendary, though I don't have any.
frown.gif

Dec 28, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 30
Hmmm, well now I voted for Chesky, but really the Sheffield Lab and Mobile Fidelity can be just as good. IME the Telarc are a bit off that standard except for the famous 1812.

I haven't heard a Reference Recording LP, but the one CD I have is nothing special.

On vintage stuff, I think everything depends on the particular recording. There are individual RCA, London/Decca, Mercury, and even Columbia which are sonically superb (though they all have some extra hiss that is virtually eliminated in current records).
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 30
dg is winning? i can't believe it! these are the guys who invented the aluminum violin!!

go chandos, go (worlds ahead for clarity (r))!!

Dec 28, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 30
My recording of Gil Shaham performing Brahms violin concerto by DG has a loud intermittent hissing sound. None of my other DG recordings have it though, maybe this is just a lemon.

Dec 29, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 30
deutsche grammophon record's are IMO too bright.

rca (for piano at least) - usually too close miked and clangorous.

emi - too distant occasionally.

Dec 29, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 30
actually, on second thought, most sony classical records i've bought actually sound fantastic. somehow the sound is fuller and definitely not fatiguing. dsd remastering, anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back