Best recording/performance of "Clair De Lune" and "Canon in D"
Mar 17, 2013 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for the best recordings/performances of two of my favorite pieces of music, Debussy's "Claire De Lune" and Pachelbel's "Canon in D."  
There are so many versions on Amazon.  Any recommendations?  
16bit/44kHz is ok, but high-resolution would be great.  Maybe in DSD? 

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Check out Jean-Efflam Bavouzet for Debussy's compositions. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Check out Jean-Efflam Bavouzet for Debussy's compositions. 

I found his "Debussy: Complete Works for Piano" Volumes 1 - 5.  LINKY. Are these the ones you are referring to?  

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

I found his "Debussy: Complete Works for Piano" Volumes 1 - 5.  LINKY. Are these the ones you are referring to?  

Sure is, that's the ones I have. Bavouzet is a true master. He's highly regarded for his Debussy interpretations, as well as his Ravel, Liszt, Haydn, and Schumann performances. I doubt you're going to find a better combination of performance/production/mastering. But if you want to look around more, Roy Howat is world-renowned for his Debussy work. He's another one to check out. 

chrisjackson has a great suggestion, as you can get the files in FLAC or ALAC Studio Master for highest quality in the link he posted.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks chrisjackson and Origin89
I will be getting the studio masters, starting with Vol. 3 since that one has Clair de Lune.  I think I will eventually get all five volumes in studio master quality; I generally like Debussy's pieces.  This is great!  

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 14
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 14
I listened to Volume 3 last night.  Incredible!!!  I loved every moment of it.  I ended up buying volumes 1 and 2 as well.  Will be listening to one tonight and another tomorrow night :) 

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 14
Glad you enjoyed it. Bavouzet's interpretations are phenomenal. If I had to pick only one rendition of Debussy, he would be it. 1 and 2 are just as beautiful.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 14
Now that I'm thinking about it. I'd recommend you listen to 2 first, then 1. As it would be a nice progression from 3, and it has Images Oubliees: Dans le mouvement d'une sarabande and Pour le Piano: II. Sarabande on it, which are another one of my favorites of Debussy. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Now that I'm thinking about it. I'd recommend you listen to 2 first, then 1. As it would be a nice progression from 3, and it has Images Oubliees: Dans le mouvement d'une sarabande and Pour le Piano: II. Sarabande on it, which are another one of my favorites of Debussy. 

Awww... too late.  I listened to volume 1 last night and planning to listen to volume 3 tonight.  Maybe next time I will go 3, 2, and 1. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 14
All good. It doesn't decrease it's value. 
atsmile.gif

May 10, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 14
Please try to be open minded about this, but one of the best performances of CDL I saw and heard was done by the late Polish / Italian pianist who was the highest paid entertainer in America in the 1950's and left mixed opinions regarding his legacy. But to hear him play that song from his head was as near perfect a performance I'd ever seen any pianist perform any song. Liberace!

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 14
Google brought me to this thread but I wish they would re-record this Clair De Lune arrangement by Ormandy and have it available in DSD: https://tidal.com/track/4981196

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this was originally recorded in the 80's and remastered for the Ocean's 11 movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back