Best recording of Brahms: The complete symphonies?
Jul 21, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 22
Somewhat in the same vein as this, what is everyones favorite for Brahm's German Requiem? I personally have and love the Shaw version, but am game to hear about others.

Scott

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #18 of 22
For the orchestral 'standard' version:
Roger Norrington,London Schütz-Choir, London Classical Players, Lynne Dawson, Olaf Bär

As an alternative (the quasi x-rayed version for choir, soloists, 2 pianos and timpani, arranged by Heinrich Poos):
Kristian Commichau, vocal-concertistsen, Justus Zeyen & Peter Langehain: pianos, Matthias Kaul: timpani, Martina Lins-Reuber: soprano, Thomas Quasthoff: baritone

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 22
I have to say that I only have the Karajan set, plus an additional 3rd (Rahbari / BTO) and 4th (Previn / Royal Philharmonic) performance. Previn's is actually quite good, and sonically excellent. Now I'm not a big fan of Brahms. But, to contribute something to the thread, I have the "Great Conductors" VHS tape, and on it was a few-minute clip from Furtwangler's performance of 4th in London with Berliner Philharmoniker, a few years after WW2 (the first performance afterwards). That clip was of my favourite Brahms snippet and it made me
REALLY want to get it. Unfortunately, even though there has been a lot of
Furtwangler editions in the last two years they haven't released this one.

Jul 31, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #21 of 22
Well, of the recordings mentioned in this thread, the ones I keep seeing for cheap in the clearance bins are the Szell/CSO discs, so I guess I'll just buy those. Hard to go far wrong with Szell and Cleveland. Yes?

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #22 of 22
I own the following:

-Bruno Walter CSO
-Abbado, BPO
-Gardiner's 4th.
-Bernstein, VPO cycle
-Sanderling, Dresden [RCA]
-Karajan, BPO, late 70s cycle
-Karajan, BPO, 60s 2nd/3rd symphony
-Kleiber 4th

For a full cycle, I would recommend either the Abbado or the Walter (two different, marvellous readings). I also enjoy the Karajan 2nd/3rd from the 60s, but not his late 70s cycle. The Gardiner 4th is a HIP (historically informed performance). A really interesting take on this marvellous symphony. My favourite renditions of the 4th are the Walter and the Sanderling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back