Best Recording of Beethoven's Pathetique?
Dec 7, 2008 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
So Pathetique is probably my favourite piece of music ever, and I'm on the hunt for the perfect recording of it.
I purchased the Silvia Capova recording last week, and I nearly spat out my drink when she started playing notes too fast and sometimes out of time. It felt way too rushed.
I love the Glenn Gould recording, but I can't seem to find the CD anywhere.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 17
Try and find a Wilhelm Kempff recording from the sixties. Style and sound may not be everybodies cup of tea, but it's a rock solid performance.

You should also find it comes bundled with at least the Appassionata and Moonlight sonatas. I have it on DG LP, which doesn't seem to have a date anywhere. I'm sure it has been re-issued though.

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the Glenn Gould recording, but I can't seem to find the CD anywhere.

Fully agreed. Glenn Gould puts beethoven as one of my top 'touch my heart' music.

Unfortunately Wilhelm Kempff wasn't my cup of tea
redface.gif
His style is very musical, but somehow I feel that it makes Beethoven too lyrical at inappropriate times...

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutbutterjam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fully agreed. Glenn Gould puts beethoven as one of my top 'touch my heart' music.

Unfortunately Wilhelm Kempff wasn't my cup of tea
redface.gif
His style is very musical, but somehow I feel that it makes Beethoven too lyrical at inappropriate times...

I always thought Gould was a baroque master -- articulate and precise.

Somehow I can't see how he would be a much of a beethoven player considering beethoven is borderline romantic.

Then again, I haven't heard the recording so I may be wrong?

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 17
The Pathétique (op.13) is one of the most recorded sonatas around -- a warhorse. That means that great recordings of it abound, so you should also consider the other works on the cd with it as well as the pianist. After that, considering the sound quality becomes more or less important according to your taste. Rather than suggest a single volume from a complete set of sonatas, I suggest looking for recordings of Beethoven's "named" sonatas. That way you can get a very fair sampling of the composer's other works, and perhaps find a new sonata to love. Thus, my suggestions will not include the volume from Annie Fischer's cycle (one of my favorite Beethoven sonata cycles) because it is coupled with two lesser early (Op.2) sonatas. Instead, consider such cds as Wilhelm Kempff's cd with the Pathétique, Mondschein, Appasionata, and Waldstein (DG) which will give you a fair survey of Beethoven's works from the early period of the Pathétique to the middle period works (Waldstein Op.53 and Appasionata, Op.57). Rudolph Serkin also has a notable recording of named sonatas as well. Emil Gilels also has a cd of the Mondschein and Pathètique as well as another of the Waldstein, Les Adieux and Appasionata on DG that are notable, and available very cheaply in the amazon marketplace. I wouldn't get only one as it's not a lot of music for a cd, the two can be obtained for bargain prices, and Gilels is really phenomenal in this repetoire.

I also have a recording by Ivan Moravec of named sonatas (Pathétique, Appasionata, Les Adieux, Waldstein) which is oop, but very desirable if you can find it. Moravec is certainly one of the great Beethoven pianists around.

And finally there are the HIP recordings of the sonatas on fortepiano, of which the most easily obtained are those by Ronald Brautigam. The use of the fortepiano may not be your cup of tea and the Pathétique is not coupled with other named sonatas, but if you are into original instruments, then I have to recommend this because of its exemplary quality both in terms of performance and sound. Another great recording on fortepiano of the Pathétique is by Paul Komen, which does not quite match the Brautigam for sound quality but certainly equals it in performance.

419X6YGQN1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51yT9ZERgwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41jKyVVV1HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
444122.jpg
41VYJVQ870L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41UXlDT60wL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
414HCNZ68HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Note: The Kempff and Serkin cds are usually available at BMG music clubs. Also, be sure to get the Serkin recording that lists the "extra tracks" (expanded edition) otherwise the cd doesn't contain Les Adieux. Also, the Brautigam is available for download from Amazon if you wish to sample it.

I located the reissue of the Moravec sonatas at CDUniverse.com! That's quite a nice find.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 17
I've got to second the Moravec recommendation, it is as all of his recordings (which are too few!), focused emotional excursions of understated power.
whew.
and i have an undated (!!) Wilhelm Backhaus in my collection which is great, scratchy and 'historic' but quick and unpitying.

Guillermo
htp://statework.blogspot.com

May 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 17
Im a fan of Horowitz personally, they have his stuff on youtube. I feel like a lot of the other performers are either too rough or too fast or both, but thats just me.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
The Pathétique (op.13) is one of the most recorded sonatas around -- a warhorse. That means that great recordings of it abound, so you should also consider the other works on the cd with it as well as the pianist. After that, considering the sound quality becomes more or less important according to your taste. Rather than suggest a single volume from a complete set of sonatas, I suggest looking for recordings of Beethoven's "named" sonatas. That way you can get a very fair sampling of the composer's other works, and perhaps find a new sonata to love. Thus, my suggestions will not include the volume from Annie Fischer's cycle (one of my favorite Beethoven sonata cycles) because it is coupled with two lesser early (Op.2) sonatas. Instead, consider such cds as Wilhelm Kempff's cd with the Pathétique, Mondschein, Appasionata, and Waldstein (DG) which will give you a fair survey of Beethoven's works from the early period of the Pathétique to the middle period works (Waldstein Op.53 and Appasionata, Op.57). Rudolph Serkin also has a notable recording of named sonatas as well. Emil Gilels also has a cd of the Mondschein and Pathètique as well as another of the Waldstein, Les Adieux and Appasionata on DG that are notable, and available very cheaply in the amazon marketplace. I wouldn't get only one as it's not a lot of music for a cd, the two can be obtained for bargain prices, and Gilels is really phenomenal in this repetoire.

I also have a recording by Ivan Moravec of named sonatas (Pathétique, Appasionata, Les Adieux, Waldstein) which is oop, but very desirable if you can find it. Moravec is certainly one of the great Beethoven pianists around.

And finally there are the HIP recordings of the sonatas on fortepiano, of which the most easily obtained are those by Ronald Brautigam. The use of the fortepiano may not be your cup of tea and the Pathétique is not coupled with other named sonatas, but if you are into original instruments, then I have to recommend this because of its exemplary quality both in terms of performance and sound. Another great recording on fortepiano of the Pathétique is by Paul Komen, which does not quite match the Brautigam for sound quality but certainly equals it in performance.

419X6YGQN1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51yT9ZERgwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41jKyVVV1HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
444122.jpg
41VYJVQ870L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41UXlDT60wL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
414HCNZ68HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Note: The Kempff and Serkin cds are usually available at BMG music clubs. Also, be sure to get the Serkin recording that lists the "extra tracks" (expanded edition) otherwise the cd doesn't contain Les Adieux. Also, the Brautigam is available for download from Amazon if you wish to sample it.

I located the reissue of the Moravec sonatas at CDUniverse.com! That's quite a nice find.
biggrin.gif

I've listened to most of your recommendations on YouTube, and thus far, I like Emil Gilels' the best. It was very dynamic, very romantic.

But I believe what I heard was a live version. 

I'd like to hear some comments regarding the timbre and recording quality of the CD version before I buy the actual copy. 

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back