Best Recable for K701/K702?
Jun 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I want to recable my K701. I listen mostly to classical strings, jazz, and acoustic music and I already quite like my K701s for these. But, we're always looking for the perfect sound
k701smile.gif
. There haven't been that many threads/impressions on K701/K702 recables, but the impression that I've gotten is that Moon-Audio Black Dragon is the best cable to add a little more body and improve the tonal balance. Some other recables, especially the usual DIY cables, have shown no improvement or even been worse than the stock cable which apparently is a good one to begin with.

So, is the Black Dragon the way to go or is there a better choice without going crazy on cost? The main thing that I am not thrilled about with the Black Dragon is the Techflex covering because I like to listen in bed. Is there an equally good or better cable with a smooth cover?

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some other recables, especially the usual DIY cables, have shown no improvement or even been worse than the stock cable which apparently is a good one to begin with.

So, is the Black Dragon the way to go or is there a better choice without going crazy on cost?

Wait... what? You dismiss DIY cables but you are willing to accept a higher-standard DIY cable? What's up with that?

All the higher-end aftermarket cables you see floating around on the net are all hand made! So if you find someone who is experienced, has the right materials and the right pricing, your cable might end up sounding better than your Black Dragon or whatnot.

Please do your homework before you start making claims..

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 4
I recall in an old thread that some of the typical off the shelf cable that can be ordered online, was it Canare or Mogami star quad, made no improvement to the K701s, maybe made them slower. But there have been too few reports that I have been able to find to come to any view as to the relative benefits of various cables for K701 and I have done some homework. Yes, you can buy Moon-Audio and some of the other boutiquey, single-source, custom cables and DIY also for just a bit less money than having Drew at Moon-Audio or whomever do it very nicely. I have no problem recabling my 701s myself if there is a non-boutique cable that others have found to make a significant improvement to the K701s, but I have yet to read of any impressions of improvements to K701s made by "the typical" mogami, cardas, etc. that are commonly bought by the foot and have been used in some other headphones to apparent good effect.

As far as I am aware, the greatest number (not many though) of K701 Head-Fiers have had the most positive results with Moon-Audio cables, Black Dragon, Blue Dragon, and Silver Dragon, with the all copper Black Dragon supposed to do the best for improving the bass/treble balance while the silver cables perhaps better clarifying/smoothing the treble (is this true?). Pataburd also raved about the RAL silver cryo. Beyond that, no other cables seem to stand out as yielding significant improvements.

I would love to hear recent impressions from anyone who has recabled their K701/K702.

Thanks,
Vic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back