Best .rar extracting software?
Nov 11, 2005 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
I just did a reformat of my computer and need a program that can extract files bundled into a .rar file. What is the best free program for download that does not have one of those "only good for 30 day" limitations?

I found WinRAR on cnet but it says "Limitations: 40-day trial, some features disabled." What exactly does it disable after 40 days?

Also, I also found a program on cnet called ExtractNow that doesn't have any limitations. How is this program?

Are there any other ones out there that you guys can recommend? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
without a doubt WinRar is the best I have found, but for Freeware 7-zip is hard to beat.

Do you happen to know what "limitations" come into effect at the 40-day point of using WinRAR?

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 16
i use 7-zip for all my zipping needs and haven't had any complaints
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
Do you happen to know what "limitations" come into effect at the 40-day point of using WinRAR?

No idea but it must be limitation I never use because I don't see any difference.
icon10.gif

I read in the help "Gain access to the Authenticity Verification and other advanced features"

No clue as what those thing does so I don't mind having them disable. As long as it unrar stuff I'm good.

EDIT: I might give 7-zip a trial and see how it work.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks guys. 7-zip work great, and now I don't have to worry about a 40 day limitation.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire

Can't see any changes either?

Odd, other than archiving stuff and unzipping, what else would you do?

Nov 12, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 16
I use Winrar. always have...I "got" mine.

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #15 of 16
Winrar for me too, winrar for years. Never paid a dime, but all i do is extract rars and zips. I've never needed to archive them or anything fancy. just extracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back