Best Radiohead album?
Jul 23, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 77
I was introduced to Radiohead in highschool with Creep, but it was not until university and the Bends that I considered them among my favourite bands. I picked up the Bends and then Pablo Honey about a week later. I'll always have a soft spot for both, particularly the Bends, but from an artistic/musical standpoint I think Kid A simply breaks new ground where the Bends perfects a genre. So for me...The Bends is like Bach, perfecting what is already known...and Kid A is like Mozart, treading into uncharted territory.

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 77
It would have to be Kid A for me, though I usually listen to Kid A and Amnesiac as a set, since they go so well together IMO. OK Computer would rank as a close second, or third depending on how you look at it. Any news on the new album? Last I heard, they were in the process of mastering it, but there's still no name and no record label. What's up with that?

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any news on the new album? Last I heard, they were in the process of mastering it, but there's still no name and no record label. What's up with that?

Unfortunately, you know as much as any of us. It's been dead quiet lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEAD AIR SPACE
things are quiet here right now.

we are unable to explain.

nothing can be revealed.

we have not disappeared.

merely become invisible.

for a short time. we may be hiding in the woods.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 77
Hail to the Thief followed by Knives Out. It's sad that their B sides are overlooked. Fog and Worrywort are just sublime. Two of their bests, IMO.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 77
Definately Kid A. I agree with dissembled, the Kid A/Amnesiac B-sides are some of their very best songs IMO. Definately seek them out.

Fast Track
The Amazing Sounds of Orgy
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
Kinetic
Cuttooth
Worrywort
Fog

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and Kid A is like Mozart, treading into uncharted territory.

I can see that if you only listen to rock.

I love Kid A, but there was nothing new there; just the alt press going crazy over a "rock" band playing with knobs and pitch.

Still, you have to give Radiohead credit for releasing an electronic album safe for the Frat House. That will ensure it's lasting greatness. Meanwhile, the art kids had been busy listening to Autechre and Tortoise for five years.

/wild generalization

It would have to be Ok Computer for me just because I think the songwriting is better. Then would come the Bends.

All IMO of course!
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 77
Thankfully I don't only listen to rock...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, the words you quoted back up what I said and your post further reinforces the argument rather than diminishes it.

Radiohead being ranked at or around #1 on the charts, both on rock/pop stations as well as many indie/college stations were in a unique position to blend sounds with the potential of destroying their major fanbase and pruning it down to the diehards.

Rather than alienating folks who were in love with Pablo Honey and the Bends OK Computer comes in and does a 180, but IMO Kid A perfects it and keeps folks buying and buying. Rather than alienating MORE people start buying and appreciating their music.

They didn't invent a new style of music, but what they did do was blend multi-genres into a cohesive soundstream that was at the same time appealing to those of "haute culture" as well as your "frat boys" ready to light up another one while listening to this "awesome intense band."

There is a reason that Autechre, Tortoise, Boards of Canada et. al., are not mainstream. Sure they are mainstream for their respective genres, but they don't rock the charts. Many bands have tried to merge genres and the albums have been graded abysmal flops. In Radiohead's case, their genre-spanning albums are heralded as the greatest since Pink Floyd with some claiming they usurped their greatness.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In Radiohead's case, their genre-spanning albums are heralded as the greatest since Pink Floyd with some claiming they usurped their greatness.

Uh-oh Zanth. There goes the neighborhood. Did you poke at bees as a kid. *wink*

Kid A is it for me. I dig it. I hear lots of Aphex Twin in it (not a huge revelation).

I will never forget the first time I heard Everything in Its Right Place. I'll spare you the pie-eyed emo crap. I like you guys.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh-oh Zanth. There goes the neighborhood. Did you poke at bees as a kid. *wink*

My mother says no but if I ever claim Radiohead is superior to Pink Floyd my father will give me a funny look and then declare I'm damaged. Maybe I was dropped as a child?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I will never forget the first time I heard Everything in Its Right Place. I'll spare you the pie-eyed emo crap. I like you guys.

hahaha too funny
smily_headphones1.gif
I was greatly moved by this album more so than OK Computer. Kid A just did it for me and when I heard Amnesiac I understood it to be the completion of a great work. Sure it may not be the best album ever created but it sure is a great one!

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definately Kid A. I agree with dissembled, the Kid A/Amnesiac B-sides are some of their very best songs IMO. Definately seek them out.

Fast Track
The Amazing Sounds of Orgy
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
Kinetic
Cuttooth
Worrywort
Fog

Orgy, Cuttoth, Worrywort, Fog, FTW.

And add
Airbag,
Melatonin,
True Love Waits,
Bishop's Robes, **
Talk Show Host **

to that list.

"I Want None of This" as well from the Warchild album.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 77
What do you guys think is a good headphone for listening Radiohead? I really like my dt880s for Kid A, but on Ok Computer they sound too bright. It could be my recording though, I need to re rip it probably.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 77
I'm shocked that Kid A is leading the poll. The songs on it that I like (Everything in its Right Place, Idioteque) I like a lot, but most of it meanders too much to my taste.

Supposedly, they recorded the songs for Kid A and Amnesiac at the same time. I think they would have made a better album if they cut the mediocre stuff from both and released one great album instead of two hit or miss albums.

To me Ok Computer is much more consistent than anything else they've done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back