Best Punk Rock Album Ever?
Oct 1, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #61 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsidemetalhd
i swear by their 1st 2 albums, and maybe the self-titled in 2000, but Indestructible didn't impress me all that much. and that video with the dancing girls ....
confused.gif

Totally agree. S/T and Let's Go! where phenomenal releases. All the stuff between then and S/T2000 was too ska-ruined.

Oct 1, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #63 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
.... looking at Huskers total body of work, overall song themes, plus way they look and dress I would say they never produced any real traditional punk music and didn't embrace punk ideals.......closer to Sonic Youth/Pixies noise pop than Sex Pistols punk.

not punk? have you listened to 'land speed record' and 'metal circus?' they are the grand poobahs of hardcore.

as for punk ideals, i'd say 10 of the 23 tracks on zen arcade are not just punk, but great punk... melodically, thematically, or otherwise. just listen to "never talking to you again," "the biggest lie," "what's going on," etc.

it is definitely an amalgam of styles, but if punk is defined so narrowly, then it becomes a pigeonhole genre that loses relevance. black flag, X, the clash and the minutemen, to mention a few, would then no longer be punk.

Quote:

Wire - Pink Flag
This is pretty important punk album in the grand scheme of things and worth owning, but can't say it is really one of my all time favorites.

great album... and interestinly, bob mould has mentioned wire as one of his biggest influences.

Oct 1, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #64 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
not punk? have you listened to 'land speed record' and 'metal circus?' they are the grand poobahs of hardcore.

as for punk ideals, i'd say 10 of the 23 tracks on zen arcade are not just punk, but great punk... melodically, thematically, or otherwise. just listen to "never talking to you again," "the biggest lie," "what's going on," etc.

Ok, it's close enough anyway to be discussed as punk. Whatever you call it it's pretty good stuff especially Zen thru Flip.
icon10.gif

Rapoon
That collection by The Business is a great example of UK street punk from early 1980's, excellent. A modern group that I think captures the same authentic style and spirit is Oxymoron:

e414324ova5.jpg

Oct 2, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #65 of 143
While it's far from some of the albums that've been posted here, I was digging through my CDs and found one that should be posted here.

The MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
f55009ig97o.jpg

One of the best live albums I've heard to date (up there with Iron Maiden's Live After Death). Captures their energy and sound very well, plus the songs are great. "It's time to kick out the jams motherf***ers!!!"

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #66 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
Oh, and while it's obviously more SoCal, it's a highly consistent album that's slightly off kilter the whole way (which always makes for perfect punk): Lagwagon/Trashed.

trash.jpg

Thanks, Crazy Frenchman for starting this thread!!

yay, someone mentioned lagwagon! that was my fave band for a long time. ^___^ my personal favorite is let's talk about feelings. i go much more for the modern punk than the old, but i love the ramone's s/t, the clash and the misfits. those guys all really knew how to rawk.

Oct 3, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #67 of 143
I had to dig through my old punk CDs to remember what all I have since I don't play them all that often. Last night had to play two classics:

GBH - City Baby (1982)
GBH - City Baby's Revenge (1984)

also had to drag out some Rudimentary Peni - Death Church (1983)

Anyone listen to the modern NY hardcore punk like Causalties or Virus? Pretty extreme stuff compared to MTV regulars Good Charlotte, Blink 182 etc.

Oct 4, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #68 of 143
my choices have all been mentioned before - they have historical importance and i still enjoy them immensely...

iggy and the stooges: raw power (that's what it is - and it was there long before the pistols and long before the ramones)

the clash: the clash (london calling is a great end 70's album, just not punk.)

wire: pink flag (the velvet underground of punk)

hüsker dü: zen arcade (the beatles of punk)

dead kennedys: fresh fruit for rotting vegetables

bad religion: suffer (the beach boys of punk)

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #72 of 143
Probobly the best punk rock album I have ever had a listen to would be no-fx the Decline EP, just amazing! no-fx at their best. Just for those of you that dont know it was an 18 minute song they released on record and then later on CD

cheers
-jake

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #73 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
bad religion: suffer (the beach boys of punk)

i always thought The Queers were the Beach Boys of punk hahaha. At least they pull off the vocal harmonies pretty decently.

Oct 13, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #74 of 143
the queers, yes...
vocal harmonies have become an important part in contemporary punk rock, and the tradition goes back at least to the ramones (and the buzzcocks in uk). come to think of it, the ramones also have some surf tunes in their repertoire, and they all took ramone as family name, as if they were the wilson brothers/cousins... and the hairstyle was similar...

so i'm absolutely serious when stating that the beach boys were the essential founding fathers of (american) punk rock.
biggrin.gif

does "pet sounds" count among the best punk rock albums ever, then?

no - punk is british...

Oct 13, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #75 of 143
Hey Riordan!

I always thought that our Punk Forebears were keyed into All-American roots rock (like rockabilly, li'l Richard, Jerry-Lee. . . ) and started taking the discordant free-improvisation advocated by Jazz folks like Ornette Coleman, to make rhythmically powerful, raucous pop tunes: hence, Velvet Underground, Stooges, Modern Lovers. . . .

I've heard persuasive arguments that the origin of Ramones/mid-seventies US punk was an avante-gard 50s revival rather than a revision of surf music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back