Best program to convert MP3 to FLAC?
Mar 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OverEar 4 Life

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am somewhat new to the community of high-end heaphones, and I am getting some new cans from Sennheiser. I have started to hear the lack of quality in MP3 files, and I have heard that FLAC files are the best file to be listening to music in. If there is a better form, please tell me, but what conversion software do you use?

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 7
No lossy file (like mp3 and aac) should be converted to lossless (like flac and alac) as there will be no quality improvements, only the file size will be bigger.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Yes, you can convert MP3 files into any other format that you can find software for. But because MP3s are created with lossy compression, the information they contain about the music is not a perfect copy of the original. So you would be working from an imperfect source. Even if the format you were converting to allowed better audio quality than MP3, your converted files would not be able to make use of this extra quality, because you would be working from an MP3 file. Conversion and compression can only ever make quality stay the same or get worse; they can never make quality improve.

http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/audioFormats.html

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 7
As everyone here has already said, MP3 is as low as it goes in lossy format and converting it to a lossless format is pointless.  I gave up on it and now use ALAC files (which is just like FLAC, but for Apple products).  If you use iTunes, ALAC and AIFF are your only alternatives, FLAC is not supported in iTunes.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Best thing to do is find loseless quality music because you won't be able to improve the MP3 files you already have. CDs (wav files) are a great source to convert down to FLAC as well.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Hi, I am somewhat new to the community of high-end heaphones, and I am getting some new cans from Sennheiser. I have started to hear the lack of quality in MP3 files, and I have heard that FLAC files are the best file to be listening to music in. If there is a better form, please tell me, but what conversion software do you use?

Converting a JPEG to BMP does not increase its quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back