Best Program for music listening..
Aug 22, 2010 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ambush276

Head-Fier
im trying to find the best thing for music listening that does the least amount of processing (letting my dac do the processing....)

i can either use Ubuntu 10.04 or Windows 7... what program/plugins should be used to do this?

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 11
In Windows 7, I'd suggest Foobar2000. The UI is very basic, but if you use the WASAPI plug-in, your sound quality will be top notch. I also enjoy J. River Media Juke Box (Looks like MediaMonkey somewhat) with the ASIO4ALL option installed. I enjoy both, but JRMJB has more eye candy if you're not savvy on skins for FB2K.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 11
i saw that link.. anything inparticular for linux..????

something that has a guide perchance.. i was thinkin about going ubuntu 10.04 but i dont see any "pure" audio programs for it..

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:

something that has a guide perchance.. i was thinkin about going ubuntu 10.04 but i dont see any "pure" audio programs for it..

Please define "pure" audio program?

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

Music Player Daemon IS for Linux.....

And it does nothing BUT play audio....

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
musicbee bee da one for me.
It's a real honey, I swear.
It's free. It's light on reso's, and it does everything sweet as..., well you know.
Check it out here

Thanks for the tip. Excellent player !

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 11
My foobar looks quite like that. 

The waveform seekbar and view by folder structure are by far my favorite features. There are also addons for using VST plugins, and I'm using the head-fit crossfeed.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 11
I started using Winamp back in the late 90s when I only had a handful of MP3s as they took up too much HD space. Then I switched to Foobar.

However now I use MediaMonkey. I got sick and tired of Foobar and it constantly feeling like beta software. Over a dozen times one day I would go to load Foobar and it would just crash and lose all its plugins when I reloaded it.

MediaMonkey has the features of Foobar but the stability of Winamp. It also has perfect iPod support.

I love MediaMonkey and I don't even have Foobar on my computer anymore.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 11
I love foobar2000.

Fast, low footprint, easy to use, configure and customise. Great ongoing development and support. Mature and helpful community and website. The underlying code is very tight and secure. Did I mention it was free?

What's not to like? Very highly recommended. At least give it a try.

If you are tempted to try something a little more exciting and adventurous consider downloading the free evaluation copy of Ableton Live from their website.

It's the full on pro product except it has a limited number of input and output channels and the reord function is disabled. You are unlikely to want more than stereo I/O if you use it as a highly sophisticated media player and you can even get to save your work by rerouting the output back into an input pair (maybe via S/PDIF) and using free audacity to record.

There is a media library similar to foobar, winamp etc and the quality is superb. The big fun factor comes in the ability to change pitch, add effects and EQ, cut, slice and dice, mix loop and generally lark around to your hearts content. What you can do easily and intuitively is limited only by your imagination.

Another fun application that fits the bill is the free Beatport Sync app you can download if you register with Beatport. It is also pro quality based on the industry standard pro DJ app Traktor from NI. The USP here is that it will effortlessly segue tracks in your various playlists together seamlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back