Best "private" wireless library solution to play with a DAP
Dec 15, 2021 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Seld

Head-Fier
Hello and many thanks for reading and post your suggestions.

Actually I can only listen music in my home with a DAP+headphone system. I listen Classical and Jazz and some Classic Rock.
I have a nearly 2tb library of ripped FLAC and some MicroSD card to swap inside the DAP to access alla my music library... but I'm becoming tired to take off the case of the DAP, change the cards, risking losing them by leaving them around... 2 or 3 times every night because I want different artists etc. I know, now I'm spoiled for comfort.

I was thinking to build a "private" (=working only on the home network) music NAS or Server with everything inside, with wireless access, where I can store all my files and browse/play them from the DAP (Hiby New R6 = Android 9).

What solution can you suggest to have an excellent streaming from the library to the DAP, inside the house, with a nice user interface that makes browsing between files pleasant? which server application? I have some little experience with LMS...
Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Have a look at UPnP.
This is the open industry standard for streaming AV.
A NAS by Qnap or Synology support this out of the box (media sharing).
Likewise Windows Media Sharing is UPnP.
Even my router ( ASUS RT-AC66U), supports it.

However, as it is in the house only, you might wonder if you even need a streaming protocol.
Today I have aforementioned router and a USB HD attached to it.
On my PC I use Musicbee using file sharing. Much easier and more crisp compared with UPnP.
You need file sharing anyway to add music to your library and do some tagging.

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you very much!
Yes, I confirm I listen only in the house, moving from a room to another due to the family's needs... so interesting I can use only samba sharing.
But... since I listen a lot of classical, I need a very good User Interface to browse all the files to find composers, performers, directors, etc etc... and sometimes I need to see the album cover to check the album edition I choose: is this possible via samba sharing?
I'm just trying with my HDD connected to the router, but my HibyMusic app does not see Flac files so I'm stuck on this attempt... any solution, excluding that of buy another app?

PS: I also use MusicBee on the computer where I manage the tags of the files ... simple and efficient.

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 5
since I listen a lot of classical
Don't
Media players are designed with pop music in mind. So avoid classical at all expense!
MusicBee can do classical right: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MusicBee/MusicBee_Classical.htm
But this is Win
On Android I use Foobar Mobile. Not very good at classical but at least it supports the composer tag.
What I do is simply put the composition into the album tag: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/MediaPlayers/Foobar.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back