Best Price:Performance?
Aug 23, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terrible for metal. Slow and bloated.

MS-1i or ATH-ES7

95% of what I listen to is metal.

Sure sound better than my SR60s did. At least the JVCs HAVE bass and don't murder your ears.

Modded JVCs are even better.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
95% of what I listen to is metal.

Sure sound better than my SR60s did. At least the JVCs HAVE bass and don't murder your ears.

Modded JVCs are even better.

Ahh, I'm not a big fan of the SR60's. I've also had limited exposure to the RX700, but I've had a lot of head time with modded RX900's. The RX700's were decent, but the RX900's were absolutely terrible for any sort of music outside of hiphop (or anything else that requires crazy scooped out mids and rolled off highs with overwhelming bass).

I really like the MS1i's for metal, or anything really. Pop on a Beyerdynamic headband, bend the frame to reduce clamping force, and wash the comfies to soften them and you've got a great pair of headphones for any sort of rock, some jazz, and electronica (at that price point). Even better, put a glob of Dynamat on the back of the driver and line the inside of the cups for even better sound.

ES7's are very good price/performance, especially for metal. While I will say that they weren't the most comfortable, they had good detail, excellent punchy bass, and an "in your face" presentation that made music fun.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Ahh, I'm not a big fan of the SR60's. I've also had limited exposure to the RX700, but I've had a lot of head time with modded RX900's. The RX700's were decent, but the RX900's were absolutely terrible for any sort of music outside of hiphop (or anything else that requires crazy scooped out mids and rolled off highs with overwhelming bass).

I really like the MS1i's for metal, or anything really. Pop on a Beyerdynamic headband, bend the frame to reduce clamping force, and wash the comfies to soften them and you've got a great pair of headphones for any sort of rock, some jazz, and electronica (at that price point). Even better, put a glob of Dynamat on the back of the driver and line the inside of the cups for even better sound.

ES7's are very good price/performance, especially for metal. While I will say that they weren't the most comfortable, they had good detail, excellent punchy bass, and an "in your face" presentation that made music fun.

The HA-RX700s are definitely better for metal. Once I did the felt removal mod, I never found them bloated or too "slow" for metal. I'm assuming you could tighten them up more with some dynamat and acoustic stuffing, like the 900s. Burn-in helps with them.

They do grow on you, I think. At first I thought "dang, where is the treble with these?". But now I think they sound great (and I have some high end, non-headphone audio equipment to compare them to).

900s are definitely not as good as the 700s for metal, but I still think they sound great. I'm more of a bass-head to begin with. I'm definitely going to do the mods with them as well, and I think they'll sound perfect for me.

See, I have a 12" subwoofer in my car (and I do believe subwoofers definitely make for a better listening experience). To me, almost every headphone is lacking in bass. :p

I may have to try the MS1s someday, though. I will admit, I liked some aspects of the SR60s, and the MS1s sound like they may fix what I didn't.

No money to spend now, though!

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #19 of 24
I really like the PX100s for anything below $100. Killer phone, it's portable, sounds good, OK durability, looks decent, doesn't need a dedicated amp, and sounds good out of cheap sources.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 24
A lot of suggestions for the MS1's it seems. Trouble is, I can't find any place in Canada that sells them.

Can you guys give any suggestions for a retailer that carries Alessandro? Or even a good store in Canada that sells this kind of stuff?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, been a lot of help.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Terrible for metal. Slow and bloated.

To each their own my friend. They may be a bit muddy and a bit bloated and even a bit slow but for the price what can you expect. For 35 bucks I wasn't expecting miracles out of these rx700's just a nice closed can that I feel are not Terrible for metal, I enjoy my ad700's more for metal but once again to each their own.
To answer the OP's question I can say I just turned the rx 700 up to an uncomfortably loud level and did not have notice any distortion. In terms of portability though, I would not consider either of these phones truly "portable".

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortunex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of suggestions for the MS1's it seems. Trouble is, I can't find any place in Canada that sells them.

Can you guys give any suggestions for a retailer that carries Alessandro? Or even a good store in Canada that sells this kind of stuff?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, been a lot of help.

I think the Alessandro's are sold worldwide including shipping for $99 (see their website). A great deal IMO!

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Alessandro's are sold worldwide including shipping for $99 (see their website). A great deal IMO!

Just read the extensive thread here about folk who have experienced long delays after ordering from said website. I bought mine from a reseller here in Oz, had them within a week.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #24 of 24
I think you will be fine ordering from the website or a well regarded seller.... Dont listen to estreeter he doesnt have enough headphone cred in his sig imo!

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back