Best Price/Performance ratio Amp/DAC combo or Hybrid unit
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Peculier

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a decent home-use headphone amp and DAC, out of my MacBook Pro. I'm looking at anything between 400-700 dollars. I want to emphasize that I value price to performance quite highly, and as such I have been looking at the Yulong D100 (MSRP $449, and its a DAC/Amp all-in-one) and the NuForce Icon HDP (also 449 and an all-in-one). I will most likely be using these with Denon D5000s, HD650, or maybe even a HE-5LE if I can audition it. I'm open to suggestions on other headphones (try to keep the headphone itself under 800)

I have also been looking at the Schiit Asgard and Bifrost combo, but those are just under 700 dollars together. But, if the synergy between the Asgard and Bifrost is substantially better than the 2 units above, I will be willing to shell out the extra dough for them.

Feel free to suggest any other standalone DAC/Amp combos that you guys can think of! Any help is really appreciated.

Edit*: The Bifrost is 449 if you add in the USB input, which I would probably intend to have, which puts the total price of the Asgard + Bifrost combo at about $690.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back