Best price/performance range?
May 13, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #31 of 35
$300-$700 range imo. 

its not that I dislike all the "High" end models I have listened too, HD800, T1, LCD, I just don't hear a $500+ difference in sound to say them and a HE-500. 

But hey that's the thing about headphones, what sounds good to me might sound rubbish to someone else and vise versa. 

the sweetest spot has to be AD900's at around $200 though? 

May 13, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:
I'm curious how many shooting down higher priced gear have experience with it? The biggest thing I see here is convincing yourself that cheap is best. Whatever floats your boat but don't expect a wide range of experience to chime in on higher priced gear when they will be told how foolish they are for spending their money the way they see fit. Not all of us are starving students. This is a hobby for the masses and that includes those with the cash to experience high end gear. They don't buy it for status so there must be a reason for it.

The entire point of a price/performance ratio is that it's about where the best value for the money lies, not where the absolute best performance lies.  Nobody is shooting down high-end gear merely by pointing out that the concept of diminishing returns exists and is a real thing in every consumer-oriented tech industry.

May 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #33 of 35
best performance for the price> I have no idea.

point where diminishing returns starts to be an issue?.  Where ever the Sony V6 starts.  At this point I believe it takes more and more dollars to come up with less difference/ improvement than the previous step in sound quality.  If I was in school with a limited budget, I could be very happy with these.  My favorite headphones are in the $200 to $300 dollar range. K 701/ HD 600 Whoever said when considering headphones you have to factor in the cost of an amp is correct.  I don't think I will ever buy anything more expensive as I'm not sure my ears are fine tuned enough to really appreciate the difference. 

May 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:
The entire point of a price/performance ratio is that it's about where the best value for the money lies, not where the absolute best performance lies.  Nobody is shooting down high-end gear merely by pointing out that the concept of diminishing returns exists and is a real thing in every consumer-oriented tech industry.

Yes. As an owner of what some might consider top-shelf gear, that is my rationale behind selecting the KSC-75 as champion in this arena.

May 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Sorry for the double post.

if you have been reading my posts, you must know how much i like my SR80i, but i do prefer the sound of my PS1000, now, when you think about it, you can buy 17 pairs of SR80i, for the price of one pair of PS1000, talk about diminishing returns, especially when you consider the fact that the SR80i will give you a good chunk of what the PS1000 gives you, that, to me, is very impressive.

Yes ,I must say that after I destroyed my first pair of 80's (by accident, of course) I purchased the MS2i, but they had too much overall bass presence for me, so I traded a friend for the 325's and I enjoyed them much more, but something in the back of my head kept haunting me about the sound of the 80's, so I picked up another pair this past week and I haven't, taken them off my head since, I just can't get away from the sound signature of them, I love them so much I'm waiting for the Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cup's to dress them in, they should arrive today. I'm not saying either is better, but they are very different to my ears, and for 100$ for the 80's (as you know) you definitely can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back