Best powered speakers for dorm?
Apr 18, 2010 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

robbiest

New Head-Fier
I've done some searching through the forums and settled on the swan m200s (the mkIIs look more like my budget than newer ones) or the audioengine a5s. Does anyone have experience with these speakers, or any recommendations for better ones?

My main concern is that the speakers aren't too cold "cold" and actually have some musicality, which I've heard studio monitors like m audios lack. I like to listen all kinds of different music, but hip-hop especially (Jay-Z, Big L, Tribe, Biggie, Nas etc.). Should I plan on eventually getting a subwoofer or are there other powered speakers that will better suit my needs?

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 6
I've had both the M200's and currently have a pair of A5's. I used the M200's for a road trip and then sold them when I had no further use for them. I was using the A5's for my computer rig, but have been using headphones so much down there that I may end up selling them. I did not have both together, so can't comment with authority, but both are very good for the money, and to my they covered about the same range. I did have some problems with the amp in the M200's which I had a local shop fix (I can't recall specifically, this was five years ago and was the original version). Of those two My preference is the A5's as they seem to deliver a cleaner sound. I would not call either cold or sterile. The M200's are physically larger, but as I said, seemed to cover the same range in spite of that (both do the lows pretty well for their size, though I didn't feel like the M200's did the upper extension as well as the A5's - again, original version from memory). I do like that they both have the volume on the front face, whereas many pro-audio monitors have the volume on the rear which I find more than a bit inconvenient. Also, both speakers you are considering have conventional RCA plugs whereas monitors often use XLR or 1/4" jacks (for TRL connectors). The A5's have a convenient charging dock and audio input for iPod use (on the amped speaker). The older version of the M200 did not.

Hope that helps.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hip-hop especially

The only 2.0 systems I've ever seen that wouldn't require a sub for decent bass, really wouldn't be suitable for a dorm kind of setting. If you're in the group of "I'm a collage student. Of course I don't have any money"-group, they'd be too expensive anyhow.

In short, yeah. I'd save for a sub.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Go with the Audioengine A2s. Sound great, and the bass will be good enough for your applications but hopefully won't wake those sleeping in the next room. They are tailored to have a little bit of bass and midrange boost like many other small and inexpensive speakers. I've never owned the A5s but I suspect they'd wake everybody up. Audioengine also offers a no questions 30 day return.

In the future I wouldn't worry so much about "musicality" as that's mostly a marketing term and "cold" is a misleading interpretation of neutral, in my opinion. These sort of things are a little misleading to people in my opnion, that's all.

One little warning though if you decide to get the A2s, you might get requests from friends or family to bring them everywhere due to their ease of use and portability. Also, I've never lived in a dorm before but I hope your speakers don't get stolen. Best of luck.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 6
I used my A2 for my first year in college in the dorms and I still love em in my apartment. Great speakers, easy for people to plug in their ipods and small enough for your desk.

If and when you do move out of the dorms, the A2 are pretty easy to hook up to a sub.

I don't see myself using any other speakers for at least the next two years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back