Best possible synergy with D2000
Sep 1, 2008 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MilkyWay

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm using a mini3 with 5 gain with my D2000 for portable use but I feel they can do much better, I've got a few amps in mind like Larocco PRII, Pico, move2, millet hybrid portable and of course the predator but I want to hear from someone whose played around with the synergy of these phones and some portables.

btw I know 5 gain aren't great for 25 ohms but when I bought my mini3 they were intended for my K701's and yes I've already got a desktop amp.

Thanks, I appreciate anyone helping me

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 16
I had D2000 and I believe it requires some current, which is supplied better by the amps with output buffers. Amps based on high-current opamps with like AD8397 (say Pico) are also good.

I liked D2000 best with modded iBasso D2 (ISL55002IB in IC2 and THS4032 in IC7), followed by the Pico, using amp section only. I prefer Pico when using them from USB.

I did not like D2000 with Move and Portable Millet.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
II liked D2000 best with modded iBasso D2 (ISL55002IB in IC2 and THS4032 in IC7), followed by the Pico, using amp section only.

How does it sound with unmodded D2? I'm just about to click "buy" on a D2 Boa, and the D2000 is the next thing on the list a month or two down the line. But if the Boa can't drive the D2000's, I may have second thoughts.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 16
Sorry, I had to mention that I tried it with modded D2 Viper. D2 Boa does not have opamp rolling feature (sockets). Boa is also less powerful comparing even to stock Viper and thus probably does not drive D2000 well. I did not try Boa, but I do not like D2000 with stock Viper. So I doubt that Boa will drive D2000 good.

Nevertheless, it is just an assumption. Ask HeadphoneAddict, he has a real experience. Or check his thread on USB DACs.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I had to mention that I tried it with modded D2 Viper. D2 Boa does not have opamp rolling feature (sockets). Boa is also less powerful comparing even to stock Viper and thus probably does not drive D2000 well. I did not try Boa, but I do not like D2000 with stock Viper. So I doubt that Boa will drive D2000 good.

Nevertheless, it is just an assumption. Ask HeadphoneAddict, he has a real experience. Or check his thread on USB DACs.

The Boa and D2000 are okay, but it wont knock you're socks off like the Pico, Predator or modded Viper. Everyone knows I am usually loving on my Predator, but with my D2000 with APS V2 cable there seems to be some synergy there with the Pico.

I haven't tried the D2000 with the D2 Viper and all my opamps yet. But, it's a shame the D2 Viper was limited edition, because I may very well be iBasso's best amp ever - certainly their most flexible (after changing opamps to the ones that suit your headphones the best).

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 16
In other words, I need to find a Viper. Damnit I hate you people!
tongue.gif

Sadly the Pico and Predator are way outside my budget.

[size=xx-small]*edit: apologies for hijacking the thread[/size]

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm going to see if I can find a viper for sale in a few weeks time, if not I'm going wait and see if the new iPod has digital out so I know if I need pico with or without dac

Thanks guys for all your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back