Best possible isolation for E4's...
Jun 7, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
So the yellow foamies offer more isolation then the silicon/rubber tips? That's really surprising, I thought it would be the other way around.

Yup. In fact, as many members have said, the Etymotic foamies isolate better than the small yellow foamies.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Yup. In fact, as many members have said, the Etymotic foamies isolate better than the small yellow foamies.

Wow, I didn't know that all the tips were interchangeable between different manufacturers, maybe I should give IEMs another chance. I just got back tonight from San Fran, and my HF-1s were killing me on the flight. Isolation would be a welcome relief again.

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Wow, I didn't know that all the tips were interchangeable between different manufacturers, maybe I should give IEMs another chance. I just got back tonight from San Fran, and my HF-1s were killing me on the flight. Isolation would be a welcome relief again.

I prefer the Comply tips or the ER6i beige foamies. They give the best isolation and also the best comfort.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I prefer the Comply tips or the ER6i beige foamies. They give the best isolation and also the best comfort.

You prefer them to what? Do they provide more isolation than the black ety foamies?

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

So the yellow foamies offer more isolation then the silicon/rubber tips? That's really surprising, I thought it would be the other way around.

From a technical standpoint....The Shure yellow foam will isolate the most out of all the current sleeves Shure offers. In a study done by Virgina Tech... you can receive up to 37dB of isolation on the E3c,E4c, and E5c (with a proper seal and fit) with the yellow foam as compared, to 30dB with the gray soft flex sleeve. Keep in mind this is best case scenerio and many things can play into account the actual isolation you will receive including each individuals earcanal shape and contour. So these specs can only be used as a reference not as hard fact. The E2c uses the orange foam with a larger diameter nozzle so you will not receive as much isolation due to the larger fit....about 30dB with the foam. The orange foam also comes in three sizes so try all three. As a rule of thumb the foam sleeve should give you the best seal because it expands like an earplug once inserted into the ear canal. The downside is it will not last as long. Trying to recreate the same sound with the soft gray flex or clear sleeves that you received with the foam is a good longer term solution. Also the Tuned port on the E4c as no effect on the isolation. The port is in the driver itself which is then sealed by then housing of the earphone. It is only "moving" the air within the earphone itself....not outside the housing. Current yellow foam can be purchased for around $18-$20 for 10 pair from amazon.com.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross
You prefer them to what? Do they provide more isolation than the black ety foamies?

is there a difference between the grey foamies that come with ER6* and ER4*, except for price (the ER6 foamies are more expensive on headphone.com)

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #38 of 41
Does anyone know of a place in New York that sells tips?
And, I take it that for the e4c's the best way to go is between the comply's and those made for the er6.
And where is the best place if not locally, online to buy these tips?

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

The Shure yellow foam will isolate the most out of all the current sleeves Shure offers. In a study done by Virgina Tech... you can receive up to 37dB of isolation on the E3c,E4c, and E5c (with a proper seal and fit) with the yellow foam as compared, to 30dB with the gray soft flex sleeve.

I suspect these figures slightly overstate reality. Etymotic quote 35-42db isolation for the ER4, the higher figure presumably for the black foams, and 35f or the flanges. I'm pretty sure frpm experience that Etys with flanges isolate a lot more than E4s with yellow tips. Perhaps the discrepancy (if there is one) results from different methodology.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stereodude
I don't find that the foam tips off the best isolation. Some low frequencies leak through them. I think the tri-flange has probably the best isolation.

Yea, that's what I would think, simply because the foamies are pourous (sp?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back