Best possible isolation for E4's...
Jun 5, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 41
I think I found the best fit with the parts I have...
cool.gif

I cut the top, smallest flange of the triple flange tip off so it's a biflange, and I cut the stem off completely (cut where the stem meets the bottom, big flange). It's now very short (slightly longer than the big flex sleeve) so it fits in my shorter ear canals. This also places the driver deeper in my ears so it sounds clearer (the stock triple flange sounded kinda dampened) and is much more comfortable. Finally, it isolates even better than the foamies!
eek.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile
I think I found the best fit with the parts I have...
cool.gif

I cut the top, smallest flange of the triple flange tip off so it's a biflange, and I cut the stem off completely (cut where the stem meets the bottom, big flange). It's now very short (slightly longer than the big flex sleeve) so it fits in my shorter ear canals. This also places the driver deeper in my ears so it sounds clearer (the stock triple flange sounded kinda dampened) and is much more comfortable. Finally, it isolates even better than the foamies!
eek.gif

Same, but I think the grey flex sleeves do a very good job too. I haven't used the foamies since the second week I had them (threw them out, got gross, didn't buy new ones) so I haven't really used those much.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #19 of 41
I am incredibly happy with my E4Gs. You will be too.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #20 of 41
Shure is coming out with new fommies that are made of a different material and they will provide a better seal than the yellow fomies. I ones that I got at the nat'l meet from Matt were not "final". They made my E3c's sing - the best I ever heard them - I can only imagine what they will do the E4's. They were however not very comfortable to wear - hope Shure will fix that before they are released.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #21 of 41
My E4's are awesome, I'm very happy with mine. The one thing I love about it the most is the detail, which comes with the great isolation. I do wish it had a bit more kick in the bass, but the bass is very tight and extremely accurate...I was hearing actual bass notes that previously sounded like THUMP THUMP THUMP...also they could be a bit more comfortable but I think my ears just need to adjust, after all I'm coming from full sized cans to IEMs, so I can't really complain now
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I'm wondering about other flange-type tips...Shure's triple flanges sell for 10 dollars a pair, while Ety tips sell for about 3 dollars a pair. What gives? Don't Ety tips isolate better anyway? Also, Ety's clear biflange tips (used with the ER-6) sell for 4 dollars a pair, more than the triples, while the regular biflanges (used with the ER-6i) sell for the same as the triples. GAHH my brain's going to explode!

I'm just wondering, if I ever needed to replace my newly awesomized flanges, which to get?

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 41
I've just taken delivery of a set of e4Gs and am trying them out. So far they sound good, but not the huge improvement on the ER4Ps I was expecting - they probably need some more breaking in.

Based on my experience with Etys and the comments of others, I have been using the foam tips for best isolation and sound. However, the foam tips don't isolate nearly as much as the Ety foamies, and they seem a bit short (although initial impressions are that they are more comfortable). Is it possible to use Ety foamies with the E4s?

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #23 of 41
How long do a set of yellow foamies last? How many individuals uses? I've just switched over to the foamies but they seem to have worn out after only a dozen uses.

Regards,

Don

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 41
I think I'm the only person who's done a transplant of the UM2 customs onto the E4C; it works. The only problem is that, ever since I got my K701, I've become deeply disssatisfied with the sound of my IEM. I'd hate to think that the E500 is the only way out.

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I think I'm the only person who's done a transplant of the UM2 customs onto the E4C; it works. The only problem is that, ever since I got my K701, I've become deeply disssatisfied with the sound of my IEM. I'd hate to think that the E500 is the only way out.

The E4c has a richer and smoother sound than the K701 does. The K701 are so much more detailed though. The amount of detail missing from the E4c is rediculous and super apparent if you do an AB between the 701 and the E4c. The K701 also has a much cleaner sound. I fully understand why you prefer the K701 over the E4c. They're simply in different leagues!

On the other hand, my (now-gone) ER4S had a much more similar sound signature to the K701. It also had a less smooth-sounding midrange, but was quite a lot more accurate and detailed than the E4c. The E4c sound slightly coloured and muddy compared to the K701 and ER4S. Personally, I prefer the ER4S and K701 to the E4c. However, I shall hang on to the E4c until I can be bothered to sell/trade again.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #26 of 41
After spending much of last night comparing the ER4S and E4G, I'm not sure there is quite as much difference as people have been suggesting between the two.

The ER4S definitely offers more treble extension, and has a slightly brighter, cooler sound. The E4 have a slightly warmer, more musical sound,with a bit less detail and three-dimensionality. I don't hear any more bass on the E4, just a bit less treble. Overall I prefer the E4 to the etys, because it is that bit more musical, but it's not huge difference and I can certainly live with the etys. I can only think that people who complain about brightness and lack of bass on the etys just aren't inserting them deeply enough into the ear canal.

I'm also going to keep the etys because, with foamies on both, the E4 have about 30-40% of the isolation of the etys. I typically use IEMs on public transport, flights and other noisy environments, where isolation is more important than absolute sound quality, so the E4, while great phones soundwise, won't work as well as the etys.

I'm therefore also interested in the OP's original question - how to get the best isolation from Shures. I tried to get some ety foams onto the E4 tips, but they would not fit (noting that some of them won't fit on my etys either!). Anyone figured out a way of doing this?

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross
After spending much of last night comparing the ER4S and E4G, I'm not sure there is quite as much difference as people have been suggesting between the two.

The ER4S definitely offers more treble extension, and has a slightly brighter, cooler sound. The E4 have a slightly warmer, more musical sound,with a bit less detail and three-dimensionality. I don't hear any more bass on the E4, just a bit less treble. Overall I prefer the E4 to the etys, because it is that bit more musical, but it's not huge difference and I can certainly live with the etys. I can only think that people who complain about brightness and lack of bass on the etys just aren't inserting them deeply enough into the ear canal.

I'm also going to keep the etys because, with foamies on both, the E4 have about 30-40% of the isolation of the etys. I typically use IEMs on public transport, flights and other noisy environments, where isolation is more important than absolute sound quality, so the E4, while great phones soundwise, won't work as well as the etys.

I'm therefore also interested in the OP's original question - how to get the best isolation from Shures. I tried to get some ety foams onto the E4 tips, but they would not fit (noting that some of them won't fit on my etys either!). Anyone figured out a way of doing this?

I used to use the Ety black foamies regularly wit E4's and got them on easily. Twist a little and push simultaneously.

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 41
I found the stock yellow foamies for the E4 gave the best isolation but not as good as the isolation on the ER6i. The yellow foamies (and the orange foamies on the E2c) have been irritating, to say the least, so I've been making do with the silicone black tips.

Quick question though - does anyone know if the ER6i foamies will fit on the E4? 'Cos the Ety foamies were the best I've tried so far, but I don't want to spend money on tips that won't fit the IEM.

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #29 of 41
Just managed to get the Ety foamies on the E4 - perfect! The isolation is the best possible, sound is as good as the yellow shure foamies, and they are more comfortable than the yellow foamies. This is now the perfect IEM ... at least until the E500s arrive.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #30 of 41
Correction: the E4 with ety foamies still only provides about 80% of the isolation of etys, presumably because (I believe) they are ported. Hopefully the ety foamies on E500s will solve this issue as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back