Best Portable Speaker?
Feb 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

port11

New Head-Fier
At Best Buy they have those Beats Pill speakers and all the other kinds in that section (iHome, JAMBOX, etc.) And I was wondering if theres a certain brand/type of these kind of speakers that stands out as the best with nice bass as well? for around 100-200 dollars, something that has the best sound quality and good deep bass.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 14
Not sure if it is still carried at Best Buy, but the Logitech S715 sounds pretty good. It an older model, with a 30 pin connector, and a regular mini-jack for connecting other Mp3 players. It is bigger than some other models, but unlike most of the popular brands, it actually can produce some bass, cleanly. It can be used plugged in, or run off its rechargeable battery. It does not support Bluetooth or other wireless streaming.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply, I'm looking for some speakers for my new apartment and that one seems like it'd fit all my needs, unfortunately i just really don't like the way it looks haha.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 14
Yes, it's not a looker, but at around $100 I doubt there are very many others that sound anywhere as good. You might want to also look at Logitech's newer Ultimate Ears (UE) models, which are probable closer to the physical look you're after.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the reply, I'm looking for some speakers for my new apartment and that one seems like it'd fit all my needs, unfortunately i just really don't like the way it looks haha.

If it's for your apartment, sure you need portable? You'll get better sound from a good pair of powered monitor speakers that plug up to your computer or other devices.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Yes. Rokit 5s will be better speakers than comparably priced portable speakers like you were looking at. Especially since you want bass. Bigger drivers can more easily produce bass :)

If your budget was a little more, I'd tell you to look at the JBL LSR 305s, currently on sale buy one get one. They have gotten lots of love since being released last fall.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 14
Adam Audio F5 or F7> KRK Rockits

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, but also a lot more expensive 
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 14
I'm a big fan of Audioengine.  Their A2 is a great little speaker.  And they're a great company too - I blew a woofer on mine and they sent me a replacement free of charge even though my warranty had run out and the damage was 100% my fault.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 14
The S715 is a very good unit for SQ and produces some amazingly tight bass. Get over the looks! It's predecessor the MM50 was good as well but not quite as good on the low end however, the MM50 is definitely more stylish (both white and black versions). I have both the S715 and the MM50. And just to keep it rolling, I also have the UE Boombox. It booms (bass emphasis) but it's SQ is not as good overall as the other two models. It does have Bluetooth in it's favor and 3.5mm wired input too. Portable is nice but if you don't need it you can generally get better sound from small monitors.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 14
The S715 is a very good unit for SQ and produces some amazingly tight bass. Get over the looks!

I couldn't agree more. I even use mine whenever I set up my projector in my bedroom ( kind of tough to carry hundreds of pounds of tower speakers and amps upstairs!) Obviously the S715 can't compete with that, but it is great to carry from room to room.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 14
I was really hoping the UE Boombox would be a more "stylish" box with S715 sound but SQ was clearly not the emphasis with the UEB. I'm letting my son use the the S715 in his man/boy cave and I get a twinge of jealousy when I hear him cranking it. Of course I have several other options but... 

Just pulled my MM50s out of the closet thanks to this thread. I have a computer monitor with external sound jack that could use a boost. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back