Best Portable Source - What Do You Recommend?
Jul 21, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 6
frown.gif
Is this too silly a question?!?

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 6
I like the iRiver iHP-120/140 series hard drive mp3 player which has the only optical true line out for this type of device.

Now the free source Rockbox has developed a firmware which will allow these devices to run lossless files.

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfueger
frown.gif
Is this too silly a question?!?

No, too vague. What is your criteria for "better"?

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfueger
I am using an iPod with line-out at this time and my amp does not have a DAC. Given this scenario, can I do better?

Thanks for the feeback!

Darn, your amp is a COSMIC REFERENCE
rolleyes.gif
Sure you can do better, buy a MAX.
cool.gif

Really, unless you change both source & amp or change source and add a standalone DAC there is little to improve, and any change of source will kill this little nice thing we call total comfort iPod & iTunes integration which makes for such a great product. If you get a DAP with digital out you can basically shoot this rig to the sky by adding a DAC. I would not change the amp, rather call Headroom and have them send you the Cosmic Power Supply Upgrade (you should not go without it), or better the Base Station One (while they have it) if you can afford it. The CPS was a very noticable upgrade to my (standard) Cosmic, and I would love to have the BSO (anyone knows whether it works with 220/240V?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back