Best Portable Source?Wat abt Tonium Pacemaker
Aug 26, 2009 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Abstraction

100+ Head-Fier
I have been involved in the highest end audio I could afford since the 70s, but I always thought of phones as something for when the kid was asleep or there was something wrong with the speaker system. But I am trying to learn about phones and particularly portable phone rigs as a serious way to listen to music.

So to start with the source. I need the biggest capacity possible. I have an 80gb Ipod and I would prefer to have something bigger, which means mostly--it seems--bigger Ipod or Zune. I find the Ipod with good phones listenable, but it is not a high end source. Can they be modified to be better? Is Imod or other mods any good?

And why is there so little information on the Tonium Pacemaker. The current version seems to be limited to 60gb, but it seems that it might be a better portable source. I could live with 60gb, if it had big SQ advantages.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 6
[QUOTE=Abstraction;5962318]I have been involved in the highest end audio I could afford since the 70s, but I always thought of phones as something for when the kid was asleep or there was something wrong with the speaker system. But I am trying to learn about phones and particularly portable phone rigs as a serious way to listen to music.

So to start with the source. I need the biggest capacity possible. I have an 80gb Ipod and I would prefer to have something bigger, which means mostly--it seems--bigger Ipod or Zune. I find the Ipod with good phones listenable, but it is not a high end source. Can they be modified to be better? Is Imod or other mods any good?

And why is there so little information on the Tonium Pacemaker. The current version seems to be limited to 60gb, but it seems that it might be a better portable source. I could live with 60gb, if it had big SQ advantages.

It have some difficulty to satisfied your requriements.

It seems that the high sound quality players don't contain the high memory capacity, the high memory players are not the best sound quality one.

For example, Hifiman ,Sony X and AMP3 are the top DAP interm of sound quality. the biggest memory among them is only 32G.

Maybe there is two divisions of DAP maker: One group spend on sound quality, onother proup spend on the memory. With the same money, your can't get both of sound quality and higher memory.

AMP3 and hifi man have a expanding SDHC card slot can be enlarge the memory by yourself.

Sound quality or memory? it depend on you.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Currently the largest capacity players are still hard drives ones like the Archos 5/7 PMPs (60 GBs to 320 GBs). Battery life won't be as great and the Archos tends to be heavier and bulkier. Sound quality is decent?

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Sdhc cards are coming down. I could have a pocketful.

Surely, someone will come out with a player based on an SSD. I just put an Intel 80gb SSD in the Mac G5 that I use as a server in my listening room. I am running the system on it and have been loading the audio files into a RAM disk. Man, it's 1:19 a.m., and I don't know how I am going to get to bed this music sounds so good.

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Zune 120 has SQ better than ipod video does (which is, in turn, better than ipod classic SQ).
Or you can purchase thick ipod vide, upgrade it to an imod and replace HDD with 240GB one; i've heard that imod has te great sq (however, you should carry an amp with an imod).

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 6
What about a diyMod with 240GB 1.8" HDD?
You can ask qusp for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back