Best portable player & headphone combo to use with no extra accessories?
Sep 12, 2007 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
Due to my new job it's looking like my DAC->Amp->HF-1 setup might not be practical anymore... Because of that I've thought about the possibility of getting a portable player for work. I want it to be as lightweight and mobile as possible, i.e. just player and small headphones, nothing else. The new iPod Classics look tempting - are there any better options?

For the headphone part of the equation I just can't stand in-ear or buds, it has to be something external. Open headphones are ideal as I can hear calls and whatnot through them (HF-1's were soooo perfect in that regard, I never missed a call with those on...sigh).

--Illah

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon D2 - 4 gb internal + up to 8gb HDSC external
Cowon i7 - 16 gb internal, very small

KSC75, over the ear headphone

x2.
Cowon D2 + KSC75 is a very good combo, provided you don't mind clip-ons. I had that exact combo but ended up loaning (i.e. giving) it to my sister.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2.
Cowon D2 + KSC75 is a very good combo, provided you don't mind clip-ons. I had that exact combo but ended up loaning (i.e. giving) it to my sister.

I was considering the D2 for my KSC-75's but I always thought the D2 signature (cold, analytical, recessed image, ...) was just the opposite of the KSC-75 signature (full, warm, spatious, ...) and this would not be a good match at all.

Or is, in fact, that very difference that makes them a good match??

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering the D2 for my KSC-75's but I always thought the D2 signature (cold, analytical, recessed image, ...) was just the opposite of the KSC-75 signature (full, warm, spatious, ...) and this would not be a good match at all.

In my experience from other audio gear I prefer matching up gear like this. If everything in the audio chain is warm and open you get super-warm and super-open sound, aka colored audio. It essentially becomes a very expensive - and permanent - EQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Matching opposites can make for a more neutral sound IMO.

I'll look into those Cowens, never even heard of them...

--Illah

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Indeed.

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 14
OK, so to follow up the price:size ratio of those Cowons isn't impressing me. The 16GB version seems like it'll be north of $300. While I don't necessarily need the 160GB iPod, being 10x smaller is still a little too small
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'm gonna go small, what is there in the $100 range? Then I wouldn't mind the lack of space.

--Illah

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 14
Take a look at the Meizu M3.You can pick up a 4GB model for about $100 and a 8GB model for around $140. Hit up Dale Caliente! for his impressions on it, he just picked up one and he seems to be very satisfied with it.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 14
If battery life isn't an issue I would recommend a used Nano, rockboxed with Senn PX-100. You can currently get a 2 gig refurbed nano from the apple sight for $99 and the headphones can be found at Amazon for ~ $45. I don't know how much batt life you lose with rockbox but my nano used to give me 8 hrs with no problem....sadly it was stolen before I could install rockbox.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Kenwood HD10GB7 and JBL refference 410, JBL refference 220(earbuds) or SE530(IEMs)....

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 14
I use Iaudio U3 + PK1 at work.

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience from other audio gear I prefer matching up gear like this. If everything in the audio chain is warm and open you get super-warm and super-open sound, aka colored audio. It essentially becomes a very expensive - and permanent - EQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Matching opposites can make for a more neutral sound IMO.I'll look into those Cowens, never even heard of them...

--Illah

Since I like the iRiver-T30/Koss-KSC75 combo, I guess you could say I am not a fan of neutral sound, so I probably wouldn't like the D2 as much. Too bad, because I really like all the other D2 features.

Anyone know if a D2/DT990 combo would also result in very neutral sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back