Best portable player for listening to Prog. Metal AND Classical music?
Jan 10, 2008 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eormarain

New Head-Fier
Hello, please let me ask some favors to all Head-Fi'ers.
No restrictions! (pricing, size etc).
I want to know some players which will play Opeth/DreamTheater style metal AND music by Chopin/Bach etc. to the very edge of their potential.
I don't care about video/recording/radio etc. features.
Great sound is all that matters.
Please, suggest recommendations for CD players and/or MP3 Players.
Don't mind price for I can wait until I become a millionaire. (jks)
But please, will someone recommend me at least one player under $200 that I will be satisfied with until that day comes? XD
I posted a best IEM version of this thread on the Headphones forum. =D
Thanks!

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 5
I can't name a specific player, but with classical, one big factor that could narrow your search cconsiderably is gapless playback. Do you need it?

Also, since there are frequent quiet passages in classical music, you may want to consider whether the player you are scoping will hiss with your headphones. For instance, the much lauded Sony A8xx series players hiss slightly with sensitive IEM's and thus this combo is not ideal. The Zune 80, on the other hand is flat, clear and clean, but has the gap and a tiny amount of hard drive noise at times.

I would seldom say this, but perhaps the iPods are the best all rounders....don't they do gapless without hiss?

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..I would seldom say this, but perhaps the iPods are the best all rounders....don't they do gapless without hiss?

Yep. Best to try out a few combos with different DAPs and the headphones that you intend to use.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 5
i have yet to come across such products. i suppose that is why DAPs come with equaliser settings..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back