Best portable Over the ear headphones for iPhone 5, possibly 6 soon..
Apr 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #16 of 45
Lol, well this is all new to me as far as breaking in headphones.  The guy whom I spoke with seemed adamant with playing just any kind of music for 25 hours straight.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 45
As audio equipment designers will tell you, headphone (and speaker) break-in is inverse exponential, and it happens over the life of the device. Although before long, the break-in is so infinitesimally gradual that you would not be able to tell the difference between 100 hours of additional break-in. So it's all going to all break-in eventually pretty evenly if you just play music with it. White noise will have more energy, so it can make it happen faster early on.

Although, if you want to keep believing in that, you should use pink noise. White noise is not perceived as neutral by human hearing. Pink noise is.

Well i just think the idea of white noise is more true to life with instruments and vocals. I shouldnt have said neutral.

May 1, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #19 of 45
True to life how? It's white noise? It doesn't have instruments and vocals??? :confused:

Lets say we go to some violinist's concert and i record it. The mic is magically completely flat (to measurements) and perfect. And burn in makes an extreme difference in sound. Would you rather have the headphones play a flat sound true to the recording or a sound neutral to your ears?

May 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #20 of 45
Lets say we go to some violinist's concert and i record it. The mic is magically completely flat (to measurements) and perfect. And burn in makes an extreme difference in sound. Would you rather have the headphones play a flat sound true to the recording or a sound neutral to your ears?

How do you know that the headphones will respond this way from white noise? Unless you have taken two of the same headphone, broken in one with white noise and one with pink noise (or one with music for that matter), there's absolutely no way that you have any basis for knowing that the white noise is more effective for breaking in the headphones to achieve some difference in frequency response. Otherwise, this is pure speculation based only on faith in an idea.

May 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #21 of 45
How do you know that the headphones will respond this way from white noise? Unless you have taken two of the same headphone, broken in one with white noise and one with pink noise (or one with music for that matter), there's absolutely no way that you have any basis for knowing that the white noise is more effective for breaking in the headphones to achieve some difference in frequency response. Otherwise, this is pure speculation based only on faith in an idea.

When you play music for a long time on some headphones the sound signature can change a bit. The frequencies and patterns that repeat can be emphasised a little bit over time. This is why trying to burn in headphones with dubstep is a bad idea. Burn in doesnt really make that much of a difference in the real world anyway

May 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #22 of 45
When you play music for a long time on some headphones the sound signature can change a bit. The frequencies and patterns that repeat can be emphasised a little bit over time. This is why trying to burn in headphones with dubstep is a bad idea. Burn in doesnt really make that much of a difference in the real world anyway

How do you know this is true? That's my point. It's speculation unless you have tested it with two pairs of the same headphones. Without that, how would you have subjective experience to base that opinion on? You insisted that rjruiz "trust" you on this, but how can you trust that yourself? It seems an idea totally based on faith.

May 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 45
I just received the headphones today and tired them out for a little bit.  I have to stay I’m a bit disappointed with the sound quality.  There is absolutely no mid-bass and bass at all. I’ve tried both cables and made sure they were inserted properly on both sides.  I also tried 2 different sources with the same results. I will try burning them in overnight, but I am not quite sure this will solve the issue.

May 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 45
  I just received the headphones today and tired them out for a little bit.  I have to stay I’m a bit disappointed with the sound quality.  There is absolutely no mid-bass and bass at all. I’ve tried both cables and made sure they were inserted properly on both sides.  I also tried 2 different sources with the same results. I will try burning them in overnight, but I am not quite sure this will solve the issue.

They probably won't change that dramatically over time, but you can try using an equilizer

May 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 45

what vendor did you buy it from?

May 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #26 of 45
I wish I came across this thread before.  IMHO burning them in won't transform them completely into a different signature.

It also depends on your reference point of comparison.  FWIW... I think the OEM Apple EarPods are solid performers.  Very good balance and detail resolution across the spectrum.  Bass is weighty with nice impact, snap and detail resolution, although deep bass extension is lacking.  I bounce back and forth between the KSC75, SR60i and OEM apple EarPods.  I find them equally enjoyable... and the Apple phones fit right into the rotation.

May 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #27 of 45
World Wide Stereo.  I didn't think it would change much which is what is worrying me.  The Bass boost EQ on the iPhone helps, but I hate to use that to get that decent amount of bass out of it.  With the phones one applying a bit of pressure towards the back of my  neck helps quite a bit.

May 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #28 of 45
Further comment...
After looking into it further, I'm surprised you find them to be bass shy.  Thats certainly not what Tyll and the headroom dummy measured.  Heres a comparison against the HD650, my most bass-heavy headphone.  The Apple iphone models are on the warmer side of the spectrum IMHO, they are definitely not what I would call bright or harsh sounding.

May 2, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #29 of 45
Shure SRH 1540.

May 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #30 of 45
  Further comment...
After looking into it further, I'm surprised you find them to be bass shy.  Thats certainly not what Tyll and the headroom dummy measured.  Heres a comparison against the HD650, my most bass-heavy headphone.  The Apple iphone models are on the warmer side of the spectrum IMHO, they are definitely not what I would call bright or harsh sounding.

10 db boost in the 10-120hz area???? Thats a pretty good amount. That should be pretty fun sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back