Best portable over ear, noise isoloting... a.k.a. best alternative to BOSE
Jul 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oregon

100+ Head-Fier
Like the title says, I really like the fit and noise isolation of the Bose over ear headphones, but I know there's better out there. Any suggestions for an over ear phone that's decently portable?

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 15
Do you like cheap models? I got the Sennheiser Eh-150 and it is very portable, but sound quality is a little muddy. Still good though considering they're gonna take a lot of wear and tear and can be replaced for 30 bucks.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 15
One last thing if you're interested in those: The Senn HD202 is the EXACT same headphone. I'm highly suspicious that Senn just slapped the HD202 label over top of their Eh-150 model so they could have an additional model. Interesting since they only have about a thousand or so anyway. But anyhow, get the cheaper of these two.

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Even though Bose is crap (well, not really CRAP....), the fit of the Tri-ports are ridiculously comfy. Probably the most comfy circumaural cans out there...that I've tried atleast. They also have the one sided cord thing,a nd they're not obnoxiously bulky. So in reality, the only thing that hurts them, is thier sound and price.

Ideal set-up, I think would be some nice driver replacing it, but using the same cord and housing. Would make for a killer headphone IMO.

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though Bose is crap (well, not really CRAP....), the fit of the Tri-ports are ridiculously comfy. Probably the most comfy circumaural cans out there...that I've tried atleast. They also have the one sided cord thing,a nd they're not obnoxiously bulky. So in reality, the only thing that hurts them, is thier sound and price.

Ideal set-up, I think would be some nice driver replacing it, but using the same cord and housing. Would make for a killer headphone IMO.

That, I can agree with. I really hate their products, seeing how they're overpriced, lacks quality, etc, but the tri-ports were indeed ridiculously comfy. Probably the most comfortable one I've ever worn.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 15
The most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, bar none, is the Sennheiser HD570. It's open, though, so not super-portable. Honestly though, if you can stand on-ear (though still about the same size as the Triports), the AKG K81DJ is an excellent portable sound isolating solution. It's got great mids, decent highs, and it's just bassy enough so that, when you're in a loud environment, it evens out quite well (when other noise is present, bass drops off more quickly, I've noticed). The closest in design to the TriPort that could be considered "audiophile acceptable" would be the Sony MDR-D66SL Eggo. It's out of production, but I don't think it's super expensive, and I'm sure you could find one by putting an ad up on here. It's not going to get you as much bass as the K81DJ, but it's still a good phone; superior to the TriPort. It's also better looking (IMO) than both, even if it's a bit goofy.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. Good isolation, good sound, good portability. I hear they're built like tanks.

Seconded, but keep in mind that they are supraaural, not circumaural; and comfort can be an issue due to the clamp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Hmm... all the above seem to be supra-aural. Do they noise isolate well?

Also, are Creative phones any good? They seem to be a similar company that would promote fit or looks over sound quality.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 15
Any AT circumaural is at least as comfy as the TriPort, if not more so, and sounds a million times better to boot.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 15
Creative Aurvana Live! is somewhat good. Vocals can be recessed but for $100 closed circumaural portable (kind of, they don't fold and aren't built extremely solid) they're pretty good. Definitely a good alternative to the Triport AE.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any AT circumaural is at least as comfy as the TriPort, if not more so, and sounds a million times better to boot.

Does AT mean Audio-Technica? If so I definitely disagree with you. The Audio Technica phones at the Apple store (the noise cancelling ones) are good but nowhere near as nice as the Bose. Their pads are too hard, and they take quite a bit of adjusting to get the fit right. With Bose you just put them on and they seem to adapt to your head and you don't even feel it.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 15
People here will hate on Bose....and with good reason. But Bose comfort DEMLOLISH most everything out there. They're light, comfy and don't make your ears sweat. It's a shame they don't sound better, better made (probably the reason they're so light relatively speaking)m and are cheaper...otherwise, they'de be a pretty good can.

I say, drop a Grado or KSC75 Driver in there and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back