Best portable over ear headphones for rock under $200?
Aug 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

SatanOffspring

New Head-Fier
I have $200 to spend looking for something with good sound isolation, balanced, durable and portable. The v modas look cool but i want something balanced and not so bass heavy. (havent tried them not sure if they are) i listen to bands like nirvana, smashing pumpkins, led zeppelin, radiohead, gorilliaz, beatles, white stripes, and so on.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 37
thanks for the recommendation! My friend had those and i didn't care for them as much. They sound great for the price but they were a little too cheaply made and a bit uncomfortable after a while

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 37
  thanks for the recommendation! My friend had those and i didn't care for them as much. They sound great for the price but they were a little too cheaply made and a bit uncomfortable after a while

That's my best shot, especially without knowing what equipment will be driving & feeding these cans--and whether or not you'll be using an amp.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 37
Sorry mever bought good cans before im willing to buy an amp

OK--but if you are using on board computer audio, you will probably need a sound card (perhaps with a built-in amp) or an external DAC or DAC/amp.

You still haven't mentioned what equipment you have plan to use (currently) to drive this can at home and/or away from home.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 37

If your willing to buy an amp, just spend that extra $100 on some headphones that can be driven easily by an ipod/iphone/etc. I've got the Sennheiser Momentums which are typically $350, but you can find them for $300 if you shop around the internet a bit. Great cans, easy to drive, no complaints. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 37

If your willing to buy an amp, just spend that extra $100 on some headphones that can be driven easily by an ipod/iphone/etc. I've got the Sennheiser Momentums which are typically $350, but you can find them for $300 if you shop around the internet a bit. Great cans, easy to drive, no complaints. 

But that's $100 over (or 150%) of his budget.  I can name at least 3 cans that I find superior to the Momentum and which don't need an amp--if you have a $300 to $350 budget.

At $200 and under without an amp, we're looking at portable on ear cans like the Beyerdynamic DT-1350 and Senn Amperior.  There are other options, including over ear cans, but at the moment I can't think of any that have superior sound to these two without am amp.  At his budget level you probably probably have to make some trade-offs of a significant nature.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 37

But that's $100 over (or 150%) of his budget.  I can name at least 3 cans that I find superior to the Momentum and which don't need an amp--if you have a $300 to $350 budget.

At $200 and under without an amp, we're looking at portable on ear cans like the Beyerdynamic DT-1350 and Senn Amperior.  There are other options, including over ear cans, but at the moment I can't think of any that have superior sound to these two without am amp.  At his budget level you probably probably have to make some trade-offs of a significant nature.

relax. I just offered my two cents. And I'm happy that you can think of multiple better cans than the Momentums..... in your opinion. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 37
Hello SatanOffspring!

Personally i would recommend the ATH-M50x which can be had for $165usd(http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HVLUR86?pc_redir=1407651019&robot_redir=1). I am from singapore and yes i own it so i can say its fairly balanced(somewhat coloured, but less coloured than the original ATHM50), portable form factor as well as the swappable cables to fit any situation you are in, just gotta get yourself a hard case(it comes with a soft carry case) and you are ready to go!

Why should you listen to me: I am a 16 year old kid with no money to spend and i do music mixing, recording, live sound and i listen to rock, screamo, heavy metal and almost all genres.

Have a great day! :D

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 37

relax. I just offered my two cents. And I'm happy that you can think of multiple better cans than the Momentums..... in your opinion. 

I'm the master of mellow.

The point is that we need be responsive to the question that the OP poses for us and to stay within (or at least very close to) his stated budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back