Best Portable or Semi-portable Audiophile Headphones
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

4umF

New Head-Fier
I have an ALO Audio Rx Mk3-b+ and a pair of Beoplay H6's but am looking for something even better. Currently I've been prospecting on the Beyerdynamic T5p's. Is this the best "portable" way to go or should I look to another phone ?

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Depends on your tastes.
IMHO the Martin Logan Mikros 90 are definitely worth a look.
Nice looking, beautiful sounding and really affordable right now (about $80).
The MLs even do things that I wish my HE-6 could!

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Those look nice and I read up on them, but my budget is way more than $80. Looking for a portable Nirvana solution. Would you say these do that. I listen to all genres on the regular with an emphasis on EDM

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Paid $250 for the KEF M500 and thought they were worth $80.  Paid $80 for the Mikros 90 and thought they were well worth the MSRP of $300.  Just sold the M500 and will use the money to fund a cable upgrade for the Martin Logans.  Go figure.

I listen mostly to period, classical, jazz, world, pop, country, older rock, show music, funk, big band, techno, electronic, trance, etc.  The Mikros 90 do justice to all these genres and they "do it" for me, Nirvana-wise--although I usually would rather "find" myself than "lose" myself in the music.  : )  I prefer balance, extension, high resolution and "uber" detail retrieval.

My decided MLM90 bias is no secret and YMMV.

Can you get ahold of a pair of the Mikros 90 for audition?

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 9
For the price I can easily try them out, will just have to buy them to test them out via Amazon, there aren't any high end audio stores where I could try them out. Glad you stated on the KEF's though, was looking at those too. I had a B&W P5 but it was too dark for my taste, but I will consider trying the Martin's, and have you ever heard any of the high end Tesla Beyer's or New closed back Fostex's ? If so, what you think on it ?

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 9
I owned the T1 for a while, but they just didn't deliver for me for some reason.  Ended up keeping and preferring the DT880/600 ohm(!) at that point. My favorite Beyers of all time were the DT880/2003 version.  Never heard the Fostex.  Have found a home for the time being with the HifiMAN HE-6.   

Of all the closed headphones or IEMs I have tried, the Martin Logans rise to the top.  Maybe it is just novelty or a restless impulse for change right now, but I must say that the Mikros 90 have set the record for "longest honeymoon" for a pair of headphones   : )

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Paid $250 for the KEF M500 and thought they were worth $80.  Paid $80 for the Mikros 90 and thought they were well worth the MSRP of $300.  Just sold the M500 and will use the money to fund a cable upgrade for the Martin Logans.  Go figure.

I listen mostly to period, classical, jazz, world, pop, country, older rock, show music, funk, big band, techno, electronic, trance, etc.  The Mikros 90 do justice to all these genres and they "do it" for me, Nirvana-wise--although I usually would rather "find" myself than "lose" myself in the music.  : )  I prefer balance, extension, high resolution and "uber" detail retrieval.

My decided MLM90 bias is no secret and YMMV.

Can you get ahold of a pair of the Mikros 90 for audition?

He (4umf) can audition them when he comes home from college. I just bought the Mikros 90 for myself. }:wink:
~Love Dad!

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 9
  I have an ALO Audio Rx Mk3-b+ and a pair of Beoplay H6's but am looking for something even better. Currently I've been prospecting on the Beyerdynamic T5p's. Is this the best "portable" way to go or should I look to another phone ?

1. What's your budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the general format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of sound signature you're trying to find?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back