Best Portable MP3 Player
Sep 30, 2002 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shivohum

Keeper of the Quotes
I'm looking for a portable MP3 player under $100 which would be good for workouts. It should have decent battery life (at least 8-10 hours would be nice), decent construction, and decent sound quality. At this price, I'm not expecting a masterpiece, just something that's reliable, easy-to-use, and inexpensive.

1) Should I go for a player that has flash memory or an MP3/CD player?

2) Any recommendations for brands and models?

3) Any particularly good deals you know about?

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 9
What kind of workouts are you doing?
High impact (running, etc) I'd say go for the flash player.
Lower impact you could get away with a mp3/cd player.

Not in the budget you've described, but IMO the ipod is probably the best for working out (except if you run).

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

What kind of workouts are you doing?
High impact (running, etc) I'd say go for the flash player.
Lower impact you could get away with a mp3/cd player.

Not in the budget you've described, but IMO the ipod is probably the best for working out (except if you run).

Excellent points. I think a flash player may be better for me, then. Any suggestions?

Oct 1, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 9
The new SONICblue Rio S10 is a solid performer. I've been testing it for months now and I am very happy with it. Comparatively good sound quality, with a solid equalizer to tweak it. Decent capacaity for the price, fast transfer rates, good build quality, good software, expansion options. Great battery life (yes, 30+ hours on one AA!). Check it out at http://www.sonicblue.com/audio/rio/s10.asp
It looks like a wimpy blue color in that picture, but my unit is a much darker (and better looking) blue color. May be because mine wasn't final production, or it may be the photo.
Overall it's a solid choice. I use it to work out, and it works great.

Oct 1, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 9
I use an Irock 520...you can pick one up refurbished for $50(64 meg default). It uses Smartmedia which is a nice predominant and cheap flash memory format...I picked up 128 mb's for $40 and it doubles for my digicam usage. You need to get the right software however. It's LCD display is not fancy and doesn't do ID3 tags, but you will probably realize soon enough how worthless a fancy LCD display would be for something that would only hold one album and requires frequent transfers anyways. Upping the memory allows me to hold about 3 albums on it and it has about 8 hours of 1 AAA. It is also a pretty small player with a good headphone jack. It is digitally volumed control...and the jack is good enough quality to double as a line-out for my portable amp and actually hear good benefit from it without amplifying hiss or deficiencies.

Oct 4, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
I use an Irock 520...you can pick one up refurbished for $50(64 meg default).

Hi, where did you see it refurbished? I have the iPod (awesome toy) but this little unit would be nice for my wife
wink.gif
I know what your thinking but I just can't afford two iPods
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Oct 4, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks, will check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back