Best portable MP3 Player (Sound Quality from Headphone out) ????
Oct 26, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 42
I don't have much room for comparison, but in my mind, I can't imagine there being much better of a sound (for the $) than an iAudio X5 and Westone UM2. I've had this match for about a month now and It's hard to beat IMO. Since the X5 has A LOT of EQ options, you get to control what kind of sound you're looking for, and they drive my UM2s with AUTHORITY

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by htbyron
Chris: My Zen Micro (5GB, but there is a 6GB version) has firmware that allows it to mount as an MTP device, recognized by Win XP as a hard drive & allowing drag and drop from MS Windows Explorer, as well as from most 3d-party jukebox software (I use Yahoo Music player, as well as Windows Media Player). I believe Creative offers similar firmware for most of their current lineup (but not some of the older models).

Tom

I'm using that firmware with my 5GB Zen Micro. Sometimes use iTunes, sometimes, Notmad Explorer and just drag the music across. No problem. It sounds great. But personally I don't like the touch controls. If I was buying again I'd buy one with reall buttons" The Zen Sleek perhaps. Don't like the fact it needs a seperate AC charger though. These days I find I use my iPod shuffle more.

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
Are there any reasons not to consider these other then software ease of use issues, I don’t think that I will need the large capacity (I only plan to keep about 800 songs on it), but will get it if there are no alternatives.
Creative Zen Sleek 20 GB
Creative Zen Touch 20 GB

I'd say with all these replies above you have got good picture. In terms of SQ both players listed would rank equally high.
On other players mentioned: Karma and Carbon were good but Rio went bust so getting one could be tricky, x5 is a great playyer that has loads of features I like but lacks proper id3 tags support, iPods have no customizable EQ, so for me this would be either h10 or zen. I may get h10 myself as it reads txt files which is cool but in rgd to SQ Creative is ranked higher. Btw.
Touch is bigger and slightly heavier then Sleek.

Oct 26, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #36 of 42
My karma is my sound king compared to my nano. There isn't even a contest. I have to have the volume on 3/4 on the nano to equal about 14 on my karma. Also, the SQ adjustment on the karma is almost as big of a feature for me (probably bigger) than the gapless playback.
The only problem is the quality of the build...the hard drive is a POS. If they would have sorted this out, it would still be the best player.

The UI on the karma is better than the ipod and it has much more functionality.

I absolutely hate...hate...hate...itunes. It's a pain to do what I want. With the rio software, it is just so simple. This though is totally a personal preference (I supppose the above is as well). If I used the apple itunes music store (yuck!), perhaps it would be useful for me but I plainly think the software sucks. Again, more marketing over substance

Positives on the nano...
- Screen is very nice
- size is unbeatable IMO
- it's flash
- the sound is not terrible, just not strong and not customisable

LIP

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #37 of 42
Ok,
This is not as easy as I thought it would be, so I will take any and all suggestions, I thought I was all set to get the “Creative Zen Sleek 20 GB” or “Rio Carbon Pearl (6GB)”

If the sound quality of these units are equal (Don’t know, this is a question), then I am just a little thrown off by the price of the Pearl vs. the Sleek, the Sleek is 20GB where as the Pearl is 6GB, but it looks like there is only a $50 difference in price.

I would have expected the Pearl to be a lot cheaper, at that point I figured it made more sense to go with the Sleek, I did some searches and saw that the Sleek Photo comes out next month and is only $50 more then the current model.

So,
What would you do?

As I stated, I don’t really need color, videos and really only need 6GB (actually, 5GB would probably be sufficient)

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #38 of 42
Dunno how Pearl sounds, apparently good enough, so if you compare these two I would not worry about SQ.

Now to make the choice easy: do you prefer to have fm tuner (ZEN) or line-in(PEARL)?
wink.gif
Read on Pearl here before you make your final decision.

As Rio went bust with mp3 player business I suppose the price difference results from the cost of risk or insurance the seller must buy to cover for any costs resulting from warrenty claims as he cannot pass them on to Rio...

Oct 27, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemot
Now to make the choice easy: do you prefer to have fm tuner (ZEN) or line-in(PEARL)?
wink.gif

I know that I don’t need fm, as for as line-in, I don’t think that I need that one either since I really don’t want to carry an amp.

Oct 28, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose
I don't have much room for comparison, but in my mind, I can't imagine there being much better of a sound (for the $) than an iAudio X5 and Westone UM2. I've had this match for about a month now and It's hard to beat IMO. Since the X5 has A LOT of EQ options, you get to control what kind of sound you're looking for, and they drive my UM2s with AUTHORITY

I have owned a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 for over 3 years now and I am very satisfied with the sound quality, but I really haven't compared it to anything else. How would you guys rate SQ of the old Jukebox DAPs to the iAudio X5? This could be a viable alternative to my Creative Jukebox 3.

Also, what is the largest HD space option I can get with the X5? I don't want anything less than a 40gig space.

Oct 28, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #41 of 42
I have owned a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 for over 3 years now and I am very satisfied with the sound quality, but I really haven't compared it to anything else. How would you guys rate SQ of the old Jukebox DAPs to the iAudio X5? This could be a viable alternative to my Creative Jukebox 3. Quote:

</quote>

I owned a NJB3 and I have to say that few other players Ive listened to can match or top that oldie but goodie. Ive heard a ton of great things about the X5, and it has a ton of sound options like the NJB3. Compared to my Karma or Zen Touch, the NBJ3 sounded better and those are pretty new players, at least in relation to the Nomad. If you use your NBJ3 for any kind of recording however, keep it, its still tops in that area.

Oct 28, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #42 of 42
Decisions,decisions...If 5gigs is what you need,head over to ZipZoomFly and order a Zen Micro. Light Blue,Silver,and White Zen's available in a package containing a fast charger and a belt clip with free 2nd.day Fedex shipping for $164.95; the 5gig Zen in black,with the same shipping and extra accessories cost 189.95$ I mention the accessories added because Creative seems to offer different bundles, the new trend (to no doubt increase "profitability) is to charge extra -ala Apple- for the little niceties.
I mention the Micro because I own one,and I very much enjoy listening to it amped or unamped through my E5's. You can check the specs on a Micro on Creative's site,and find an SNR rating of 98db,which means that with high quality files on your Zen,you won't hear things that don't belong there through your hyper-sensitve E5's. Upgrade the firmware,get used to the touch screen,and you'll likely be very pleased with it and the sound quality.
The Sleek appears (the demo model I examined had no battery) to be a very nice unit,which would likely sound very,very similar to the Micro,although the price premium ("...color screen only $50 more) for the storage increase plus the cost of an A/C charger might suggest that you review your "needs" one more time. Decisions,decisions....
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back