Best portable mp3/Md player? Newb <<
Mar 21, 2003 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

dunelly

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I recently found this and researched on some headphones.

Got my Hd497 to start with. Now I'm obsessed with sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm wondering what would be the best player to store about 500-1000 songs (mp3s).

I'm thinking of the popular ipod 5gb.

I don't know too much about minidisc, would probly prefer a nice mp3 player.

Mar 22, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 52
well my name will tell you where i cast my vote
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 52
If you're a Mac user the iPod is a no-brainer. If in the Windows world I'd consider the Nomad Zen or Windows iPod. If they were the same price I'd say the latter in a heartbeat, but they're not even close (20 gig Zen for about the same price as the 5 gig iPod).

Rumor has it Apple is possibly launching new iPods (40 gig model has already been delayed), with their new mp4 music service coming in the next month. That may be worth waiting to see what is coming.

And if a hard disk isn't a necessity (though I'd heavily recommend it), the Creative NuVo is pretty cool and can be found on sale.

It's too bad SonicBlue/Rio the originators of a good deal of this, has just gone out of business.

And for the record I went from a Sony MD-R76 MiniDisc, to a Creative Nomad 20 gig (original) on the PC, to changing platforms to the Mac and moving to a 5 gig iPod. They were all good, but I like them best in reverse order. The new Nomad Zen is closer to the iPod, than the old Nomads though.

Do a little research first. Both iPods and Zens have reported losing battery charge over time (sooner than should). Apple has just released an update which did wonders for mine, but be aware of this.

Once you get it, learn all about LAME encoding and presets to get the best sound. Then let me know how those 497's sound with it. Debating on what's next in the headphone department. Just picked up PX200's for my iPod.

Mar 30, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 52
oh, ipod is DEFINITELY the way to go imo. i dont do any critical listening with my portable rig, so i dont care about any quality loss with mp3. also, theres rumors that apple may make a cheaper, beater version of the ipod made entirely of tough plastic and a 5gb drive; msrp +/- $150-$200. not a bad deal, but im not sure if i would wait since it's possible it may not even make production.

Mar 30, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by djgustashaw
oh, ipod is DEFINITELY the way to go imo. i dont do any critical listening with my portable rig, so i dont care about any quality loss with mp3. also, theres rumors that apple may make a cheaper, beater version of the ipod made entirely of tough plastic and a 5gb drive; msrp +/- $150-$200. not a bad deal, but im not sure if i would wait since it's possible it may not even make production.

Damn, that would be great at $150-$200. One of the concerns in Mac circles is Apple may pull an Apple and mp4's won' t be playable on older iPods through a firmware upgrade. I'd say that's the biggest reason to wait and see what's announce in the next four weeks.

Mar 30, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by xlifez
naw ipod ain't all that great, there was reported of problems with the battery life after a year or so.

Yeah, Apple tried to hide this for a while... though everyone knew it. Reportedly it wasn't battery drain , but improper reading of drain that shut the thing off (though previously people thought it was the new calendar functions using the clock). About a week ago they posted a firmwire update and I've regained hours on my 5 gigger. Seriously, I was a big complainer on this issue (even returning my iPod), but the battery meter moves much slower now. Just wished Apple would have admitted the problem earlier. For the record, I was in a Cambridge Soundworks store the same day I exchanged my iPod (trying a set of Senn cans), and the employee said the Zen users are starting to report the same problem. Can't confirm this as I don't visit their boards, but if the employee said it I doubt he'd lie.

Mar 30, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 52
I guess im the only MD fan here.. But if your looking for batt life.. MD is the way to go..
BUTTT it cant hold 20 gigs on one disc
but u CAN change discs.. hehe
derek

Mar 30, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 52
i guess creative bought a ipod and opened it and copy some of the ideas and parts eh? after all, they both pretty much looks alike although the ipod has some jazzy things that would out beat the zen

Mar 30, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by pengin
I guess im the only MD fan here.. But if your looking for batt life.. MD is the way to go..
BUTTT it cant hold 20 gigs on one disc
but u CAN change discs.. hehe
derek

I just put my Archos & Nomad 3 down & picked back up my Sony Minidisc myself...

Mar 30, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
One model:
MD-DR7.
biggrin.gif

Sharp Minidisc recorder, I'm sure many can vouch for it's supreme sound.

one here. minidisc consensus lean to this model. and a lot seem to agree that atrac is better compression than mp3. i think it's hardware capability. and another plus is stealth portability and the upper hand for live recording.

Quote:

Originally posted by pengin
u CAN change discs.. hehe

that's right. and if you'll get an ipod anyway, one hard drop and there goes all your 5gigs of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back