Best Portable MD
Aug 10, 2001 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Nugen

Head-Fier
I've seen posts on which CDP is the best(CT470), but I'de like to hear everyone's opinion on the best Minidisc and/or MP3 player. Thanks

Aug 10, 2001 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 21
the best I think will be whatever are the highest models from Sony and Sharp, and pick the one you like best based on your set of preferences.

but when it comes to best value (recorder), I like to think I got the best here right in front of me: the Sharp MD-SR50. I believe it's old already tho, the MT90 probably replaced it. batteries will last you about a day, which is enough IMO. that way I can recharge every night and not get an empty bettery halfway through the next days. 10mW ain't too shabby either
biggrin.gif
no backlit display or remote, but I can operate it blindfolded and who needs a remote anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
lots of metal in the construction as well (only the battery compartement seems to be plastic of a quite sturdy sort). I recently got another dent in it (guess I can forget about warranty by now
wink.gif
), got stuck between some stuf
eek.gif
....doesn't look that healthy either, but no electronics seem to have gotten damaged. the only thing that will make it not last forever will be me I guess
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 21
Before anyone can answer your question, you should decide on a few things:

1) Do you want MDLP or not?
2) Will you be doing any live recording?
3) Do you need line-out functionality (for a headphone amp, to play through your stereo, etc.)?
4) What headphones will you be using with them?

These answers will really affect what the "best" unit will be for you. Please post your answers and we'll try to give you some good recs
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 21
Nugen,

I own the Nomad Jukebox and the Sony MZR900. Before I purchased I did some research for the reasons MacDEF explained. Figure out what you want/need in your portable. Once you narrow your choices down, if you can demo, demo, demo. If you can't, it's a shot in the dark especially if you're buying off the web. I've seen the 900 for $350-$400. I shopped around and I paid $271, including shipping for my new 900.

These are my impression of the Nomad:

Looks like a PCDP, though slightly heavier. Same control features as a CD (skip, ff, rew, program, random disc, random programming, etc). Proprietary software is upgradeable and easy to use. 6 gig hard drive = lotsa music even if you rip at 320. No need to carry extra discs or MDs. 2 line outs/1 line in/1 headphone out. USB port for easy connection to your Mac/PC. Battery life is suspect. Sound is very good, though I do not rip mp3s, just CDs. It comes pre-loaded with some good music, some really bad music and 2 books! You can erase these, of course. There is a lag time when you enter a function (ie next track) of about 2-3 seconds. Has not skipped on me yet. I do not like Creative Labs version of DSP (called EAX). Overall I love this unit!

However, if its more portablilty (less weight even with a few MDs) you may want MD. The 900 was Sony's top-of-the line, the 909 just came out in Japan. Very small, even smaller buttons. Flawless ant-skip/G-protection. MDLP (on LP2 you can fit 2 albums on a 80 minute md with very slight degradation). You can control recording level, though not on the fly. Optical in. Combo headphone/line out. Synchro rec with my Sony CDP is a breeze. Jog dial should have been a wheel. Pre-recorded MDs are equal to pre-recorded CDs in sound quality. Build quality is excellent, ergonomics are good, button are just too small. I love this unit as well.

If you need a very in-depth comparison of Sharp's and Sony's high-end portable MD recorders check out this link:

http://www.minidisc.org/brian_youn/sharp_mt77.html

Bottom line I made very informed choices. I hope this helps.

Regards - reynman

Aug 11, 2001 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 21
Just moving this thread over the the portable audio area

Hope the ride isn't too bumpy
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 21
Voyager,

Thanks for catching that! Already edited. Congrats on the MZR900 purchase!

Regards - reynman

Aug 12, 2001 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 21
I don't think there are any portables with a coax in, probably because the hole is too big. However, if you want to record to a portable this way, you can get a optical to coaxial converter. The Midiman CO2 does the trick. I record from a AMC CD8b to a portable MD using the CO2 as a go-between.

Aug 22, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 21
Hey, this sort of goes with this subject, but I was wondering if $95 shipped for a Sharp MD-SR60 like new (charged twice) w/all accessories plus digital cable and 5 MD's is a fair price? I've been looking around, but it's hard to judge these things since they aren't available at retail anymore (that I've seen...)

Thanks.
JJ

Aug 22, 2001 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 21
I *think* and SR60 at $95 is a pretty good deal......though you may want to spring for the current budget model (MT90), if only for the 30 sec. increase in skip protection (SR60 has only 10 sec.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back