Best portable MD Recorder?
Apr 27, 2003 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

bogo2

Head-Fier
What do you think ists the best prortable MD Recorder?

A: For Recording Quality
B: For Playing Quality
C: In All
D: In combination mit the Ety 4-P

I know only that the Sharp DR7 dont have the Artrac R format. But its a difference between Sharp Atrac 3 24 bit or Sony Atrac Typ R? Thats a interesting question. Then all think that Sony makes the best portable MD Recorders. But here in the forum i see, that the Sharp DR7 should be better. I dont need NET MD. I want only make recording from my Cd Player with digital line and hear a great sound.. I hear also classical Music, not only Pop and techno.

Thanks a lot. And greats to America.

Andy, Switzerland.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 107
Hello Andy,
You're pretty much right - the DR7 seems to be the minidisc recorder to beat as it has everything, except NetMD.
Really, there is not much difference between Type-R and Sharp's ATRAC. They've both become so good that you can't tell them apart.
There are also many people who use the ER-4 and DR7 combo, and they couldn't be happier.
If you don't need NetMD, and want the best recorder around, then it's the DR7 (or DR470/DR480 for world models).

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 107
what I get from the T-board is that the DR7 is the best in sound quality. Sharp is also known for the easiest recording, and I can vouch for that. Sony are damned handy in other areas tho, it's all pretty close. and digital recording is as easy as it gets with eitherbrand anyway.

I'd say go for the Doctor Seven.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 107
If you don't need portable recording, get a deck and a mdp.

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 107
The DR7 is almost 50% thicker than the DS8 though. That's too big to be portable for me at least. If you want to use some high impedance headphones with a recorder, you'll need an amp anyway. The DS8 is good enough at powering portable phones.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 107
Sharp quotes 5mw at 32 ohms phone impedance for the DS8. This is the same as my (recently disposed of) MD-MT888 which powered the Senn PXC250 (300 ohms impedance) acceptably as well as the V6/7506. The MD player I have now (MZ-E10) is rated at the same power but at half the phone impedance, and manages an occasional squeak with the PXC250. I generally have to stick with the ATH-EM7.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 107
It's been said before, but I'll say it again: if you're able to take advantage of line outs by using a portable amp, then don't overlook the classic, legendary Sony MZ-R50. Sure it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles, but it will play back the most recent SP ATRAC recordings, and the line out is incredible.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Mik
The DR7 is almost 50% thicker than the DS8 though. That's too big to be portable for me at least.

Thats a pretty misleading characterization. Just for perspective, the DR7 is a mere 2 millimeters thicker than the Sharp 770 - and it is thinner than BOTH the Sony R909 R910. So lets not get out of hand in tagging this as "too big to be portable".

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 107
the e10 is too big to be a portable.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 107
I wouldn't use a Sony recorder as my main portable player either. I find MDRs in general to be too bulky. Battery life on players is generally much better as well. My MD-DS9 is only slightly thicker than my wallet so it fits in my pants pocket just fine. My older MZ-R70 can't do that too well. One of the reasons why I've stayed with MD is that the players are thinner than anything out there and sound really good. In particular, SP recordings on my player sound amazing. I couldn't pick out too my differences between LP2 and SP before getting it. A DR7 might sound a little better but the added size and features aren't worth it for me.

Apr 27, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 107
sheesh, you're so picky .. and you have such a thin wallet!
the ds8 is already so damn small, i think you've been spoiled lol

the dr7 is not as thick or large as the pictures show (or what mik says)

besides, if you want to have good quality with a mdp, you will need an amp (portable or not) anyway, so it will still be big/thick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back