Best portable line-out without modification or DAC?
Jun 8, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I have a bum H120, or the H120 board is slightly different from the H140 board (ie different DACs), but frankly, the Cowon A2 headphone jack handily beats my H120->Tomahawk combo for sound quality. All this praise of the H1xx line-out makes me think that I need to compare with someone else's iriver.

The H1xx lineout is decent...but the real praise on these mostly stems from the optical output.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #17 of 30
Jun 8, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First gen Nano is one of the best and the first gen Shuffle is as well. This has been demonstrated on the web somewhere. I will go look for it.

Test is shown here:

http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/p...playertest.htm

Article is:

Shuffle's Got a Secret by Bill Machrone of PC Magazine

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1777890,00.asp

I understand the first gen Nano is built like the shuffle shown here.

confused.gif

Those are headphone-outputs, not line-outs..

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

Those are headphone-outputs, not line-outs..

OK, I am not starting all over....sorry. Wasn't it interesting?

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony d-ej2000 pcdp is the best I've used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MZ-RH1

More Sony goodness:

NW HD1 (combo out)
r900 MD (combo out)
d25S semi-PCDP (separate outs)
r50 MD (separate outs)

Dusted off the d25s and hooked it up to the SR71 and my Sensas, wow! Reminds me why I love this hobby. Meridian 507/RSA Raptor glare at me!

Regards - reynman

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #22 of 30
Sorry dupe post, duh!

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #23 of 30
sadly, lineout in h100 and h300 is not true lineout. It's still functional with volume control...

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sadly, lineout in h100 and h300 is not true lineout. It's still functional with volume control...

Absolutely wrong. Sorry to sound brash, but this myth keeps popping up every few months.

The lineout signal has a digital volume control and is still a true lineout. There are plenty of old threads on this.....I can dig one up if you can't find it.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As Febs says in a misticriver.net thread (post #4):

"The UDA1380 Digital to Audio converter chip has two outputs. The headphone output is amplified; the line out is not. However, since the player controls volume by pre-scaling, volume changes do affect the line out. Still, as noted above, with the volume at 40 and the EQ flat, the line out does function like any other line out would."

Hope this helps ...

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 30
Cowon A2, D2, Sony NW-HD5

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creative ZVM has an excellent unaltered line-out with the ALO cable. It sounds better than an unmodded iPod (to my ears) with the er4s and the e500. Gives better weight on the music and more prat. Other competitors would be the H140 and the X5 but my etys find them with slightly higher noisefloor compared to the ZVM and the iPod. If portability is not an issue, I'd say PCDPs. Regarding Archos, I'm also intruiged how their PMPs line-outs would compare.

X2. I have ipods and it does sound better...

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #28 of 30
Interesting on all these varied opinions.

For the people who have listened to more than one line-out, how would you rank them? I'm pleased to hear that the ZV:M's line-out is superior to that of the iPod, but I am interested where the Hx00 and X5 line-outs play in the ranking.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #30 of 30
Another vote for the Sony RH1, though not as good as the old school Sony MD units, but still quite good by today's standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back